Casting News Print Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce119

Casting News Print Question

I saw some thing a little wile ago were some one casted some shredded news paper. I tried to do some of the comics I had a vision and it looked good.

Well you know visions and reality don't mix. I tried casting the paper in a mold with Silmar 41. It casted and turned just fine it would have looked good BUT the paper absorbed the resin and became translucent and lost all of it's color.

My question is what do you think I could seal the paper with to stop the resin from soaking the paper. I am experimenting with some stuff. We used white glue as a sealer for thread in fishing rods but that was epoxy. I don't know if a water base would be compatible with poly. I tried spraying lacquer & acrylic and it soaked it also with a translucent look.

Any suggestions or better yet any body done it successfully.

Thanks for your help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I think what you remember may have been shreaded US currency. I don't remember anyone casting shreaded newsprint. What to seal it with? You could always try spraying it with lacquer or the stuff that artists use, especially pencil and charcoal drawings. It is called fixative or something similar. Newsprint just seems so thin and absorbent. Good luck. I look forward to seeing what you find that will work.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by bruce119
<br />Casting News Print Question

I saw some thing a little wile ago were some one casted some shredded news paper. I tried to do some of the comics I had a vision and it looked good.

Well you know visions and reality don't mix. I tried casting the paper in a mold with Silmar 41. It casted and turned just fine it would have looked good BUT the paper absorbed the resin and became translucent and lost all of it's color.

My question is what do you think I could seal the paper with to stop the resin from soaking the paper. I am experimenting with some stuff. We used white glue as a sealer for thread in fishing rods but that was epoxy. I don't know if a water base would be compatible with poly. I tried spraying lacquer & acrylic and it soaked it also with a translucent look.

Any suggestions or better yet any body done it successfully.

Thanks for your help.

M

Mudder

Nobody has cast newsprint to the best of my knowledge but someone has done it with newspaper and CA. A little bird told me so.

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />Nobody has cast newsprint to the best of my knowledge but someone has done it with newspaper and CA. A little bird told me so.

I recall a 'big bird' doing the newspaper + CA thing. I miss him here.

-Peter-[:)]

Stevej72

I tried doing comics some time ago and had the same results, don't remember if I posted it or not. Gave up after the first try. Good luck trying to find an answer as I think it would look really cool.

bruce119

I'm going to work at it. I will let you know how it works out. When some one says it can't be that's what I like to work on. I like a chalange. It does take a lot of time.

I will keep you posted I got one in the pot now i will see the morning.

I want to say that regular white glue is aliphatic. Once dried it is not water soluble, and does not carry any water in it. 'Course I'm getting old and don't always remember so good.

There are some new school glues that are water soluble so they can be washed out of childrens clothes.

Texasbeachbum

Try some Krystal Klear made by Krylon. You can get it at Wal Mart. Iused it on some paper and it sealed it so the ink wouldn't run. Also used it in a poly cast but I messed up and had too many bubbles. The paper didn't absorb any of the poly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom