Casting Leaves?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

This fall I'd like to cast some of these miniature maple leaves I find around me from time to time. I've never tried leaves or flowers. How dry should they be? How would you glue it to the tube?

Thanks,
Gary

Attachments

• Maple Leaves.JPEG
    Maple Leaves.JPEG
    635.6 KB · Views: 224
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioseven

I can't answer your question but I know it can be done because I have seen some blanks made with pansies. They may not have been dried. Hopefully someone can answer this for you.

Seven

Penchant 4

With tobacco leaves, the method is to get the leaves damp, so they are flexible and less apt to crumble. Keep them between damp...not wet...paper toweling until ready to use. Do not wet more leaves than you expect to use in a glue up session. They will be less likely to start to decay. Using a light application of Mod-Podge on the tube, lay the leaf/leaves on a single paper towel and roll the tube onto the leaf. You will probably have to 'help' the leaf curl onto the tube. When satisfied with the way the leaf lays on the tube, set it aside on a vertical rack to dry.

Mod-Podge means you cannot use Alumlite. The moisture content will contaminate the resin. I use polyester with this process. Tried it with Liquid Diamonds two+ years ago. Still waiting for the resin to harden beyond the taffy state.

Good luck!

Fred Bruche

One important caveat will be to find a way to stabilize the leaves' colors. I tried a couple of things a few years ago with maple and from bright gold, reds, and oranges they invariably turned brown after a few months. Could be that I didn't find the right way to do it, or maybe there's a reason why such blanks don't seem to be available.

vtgaryw

One important caveat will be to find a way to stabilize the leaves' colors. I tried a couple of things a few years ago with maple and from bright gold, reds, and oranges they invariably turned brown after a few months. Could be that I didn't find the right way to do it, or maybe there's a reason why such blanks don't seem to be available.

Did they change color after you encapsulated them, or before? I remember when I was a kid, my sisters used to press leaves between sheets of wax paper, and once they were sealed the colors seems to stay...

vtgaryw

With tobacco leaves, the method is to get the leaves damp, so they are flexible and less apt to crumble. Keep them between damp...not wet...paper toweling until ready to use. Do not wet more leaves than you expect to use in a glue up session. They will be less likely to start to decay. Using a light application of Mod-Podge on the tube, lay the leaf/leaves on a single paper towel and roll the tube onto the leaf. You will probably have to 'help' the leaf curl onto the tube. When satisfied with the way the leaf lays on the tube, set it aside on a vertical rack to dry.

Mod-Podge means you cannot use Alumlite. The moisture content will contaminate the resin. I use polyester with this process. Tried it with Liquid Diamonds two+ years ago. Still waiting for the resin to harden beyond the taffy state.

Good luck!

Thanks! That seems like it makes sense. Do you think I could seal the leaves with a coat of lacquer first? (I use PR a lot too, so I have no problem not using Alumilite.)

Gary

Penchant 4

Thanks! That seems like it makes sense. Do you think I could seal the leaves with a coat of lacquer first? (I use PR a lot too, so I have no problem not using Alumilite.)

Gary

Never seen the leaves coaed with anything prior to bonding to the tube; but that does not mean it has not been done. It might 'harden' the leaf, making it brittle; but that is only conjecture.

Bill

vtgaryw

Never seen the leaves coaed with anything prior to bonding to the tube; but that does not mean it has not been done. It might 'harden' the leaf, making it brittle; but that is only conjecture.

Bill
Oh, sorry, I meant coat the leaves attached to the tube prior to casting, not coating the leaves first.

Top Bottom