Casting labels?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

Been messing around with labels and running into a little problem.
How do you seal the seem of the label?

I am having a little issue with the label lifting at the long seem of the label after casting.
I am using shipping labels then cutting it down to size.
Painting tubes letting it drive over night.

Then wrapping the tubes and trying to but ca over the label and letting it cure but the label still raise a little at the seem. I am letting the label over lap to help hide the seam.
I have been using Poly resin and going to try alumilite this weekend.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

What kind of paint are you using? Label paper? I use avery paper which is pretty opaque and generally do not paint the tube. Med CA and cure 48 hours. 3 to 5 drops of catalyst per ounce (I use a little more when the temperature of my shop is lower). Is the seam separating after casting?

hanau

I am using spray paint to paint the tubes.
I am using self adhesive shipping labels

Separates after casting.

using PR but will be using Alumilite this weekend.

I applied ca to the label at the seem and have covered the whole labels.

Cwalker935

CA does not play well with a lot of paints. You might want to try it without painting the tube or use an acrylic paint. I only paint the tubes when I have a white background on my label. I only use PR and have read that alumilite does not do well with labels.

hanau

I'll try a unpainted tube. I'm just starting experiment with casting. I didn't come across alumnlite and labels may not work together well. I'll find out this weekend.

Which brand of PR do you use?

longbeard

If using alumilite, don't ca the blank. Alumilite won't stick to the ca. DAMHIKT

Don't paint the tube, no need, the label covers it. A couple coats of thin ca, let it cure for a day then cast.

Harry

CREID

You mean you forgot what the wood was. That's a gas (Rofl) HMMM, UH WELL. I guess I have a few of those myself.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
But they are some darn nice unknown blanks.

Curt

Skie_M

You mean you forgot what the wood was. That's a gas (Rofl) HMMM, UH WELL. I guess I have a few of those myself.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Curt

Something here seems a bit ..... off?

Back to OT!

Have you tried coating the brass tube with CA and then applying the label, with a coat of CA over the complete label as well?

longbeard

Curt

Something here seems a bit ..... off? A LOT!!! :rolleyes::biggrin:

Back to OT!

Have you tried coating the brass tube with CA and then applying the label, with a coat of CA over the complete label as well?

I use Avery shipping labels. They are peel & stick

Harry

Last edited:

CREID

Curt

Something here seems a bit ..... off?

Back to OT!

I wondered what happened to this post.:biggrin::biggrin:
It was supposed to be in a different thread.:biggrin:
I backed out of a thread and then went in and posted, I must have went to this thread by mistake.
HOW EMBARASSING.

Curt

hanau

If using alumilite, don't ca the blank. Alumilite won't stick to the ca. DAMHIKT

Don't paint the tube, no need, the label covers it. A couple coats of thin ca, let it cure for a day then cast.

Harry

Little confused here,
First you said don't ca the blank then the next line you said thin coat ca to the label and kept it cure.

longbeard

Harry

Little confused here,
First you said don't ca the blank then the next line you said thin coat ca to the label and kept it cure.

If your using resin, silmar 41, ca the blank. If your using alumilite, don't ca the blank.

Harry

BSea

Avery makes a permanent label and one that can be removed. Maybe yours are the removable type. Also, how long after painting the tube did you wait before applying the label? Dry paint isn't necessarily cured paint. I've paid the price for not letting the paint cure before. Not on this application, but the same rules apply.

hanau

Avery makes a permanent label and one that can be removed. Maybe yours are the removable type. Also, how long after painting the tube did you wait before applying the label? Dry paint isn't necessarily cured paint. I've paid the price for not letting the paint cure before. Not on this application, but the same rules apply.
I am using some labels I got ebay. Not Avery

The label wraps around the tube and overlays itself.
The paint is cured for a few days.
I sprayed and left it maybe 3-4 days.

jsolie

What I found that helps with label adhesion is to have a paper towel that is ever so slightly damp with an ammoniated glass cleaner. We have Windex at home, so that's what I've used.

I'll wipe down the tube with the damp paper towel, then wipe it off with a dry paper towel, then let it sit for a few minutes before applying the label. I haven't had adhesion issues since I started doing this.

Now with all this being said, Murphy is going to show up next time and I'll only be able to get labels stuck to my fingers or to the table... :rolleyes: :cool: :tongue:

jttheclockman

I say you have a couple things going here. The labels you got probably are not quality so you are fighting that. Next if they are repositionable labels the adhesive is not as tacky as permanent labels. Next thing is if they are a vinyl material they will always go from a stretched state to a relaxed state which causes stress at the seam.. Finally the heat generated from the resin may loosen the glue and thus the seam comes apart. The only way around all this is to seal the label. Can be done with applying CA or what I like to do is precoat before casting with a light coat of resin. This will help with any heat issues and also will tell you if the label will hold. Didn't waste the resin then. Just some of my thoughts.

seamus7227

Don't paint the tube, no need, the label covers it.

On the contrary, if you don't paint your tube, the color of the brass can potentially show through the lighter colored areas of the label and really take away from the quality of the design that is on that label.

When using labels, I powder coat my tubes white and have great success with the quality and color. I also use repositionable labels and wipe a light layer of medium CA over them before casting using PR. In the picture attached, having the tube painted white really makes the logo stand out much better!

ForumRunner_20150925_233350.png

Willslife77

I have been contemplating getting a tube in casting so I'm really new considering I have t even purchased a mold yet (I like to really research before I start something).
So this may sound like a stupid question but are there specific size labels that work the best?
Also I'm new here so thanks all for accepting me.

jttheclockman

I have been contemplating getting a tube in casting so I'm really new considering I have t even purchased a mold yet (I like to really research before I start something).
So this may sound like a stupid question but are there specific size labels that work the best?
Also I'm new here so thanks all for accepting me.
Welcome to the site first and foremost. May I make a suggestion. It is great you do a search for questions and hopefully answers are within the old threads. But that is just it. This is a 4 year old thread. People who answer now may have answered before and they are not going to read through the entire thread again. You are far better off to start a new thread and ask your question. Besides new things may have come into play in 4 years. This is just a suggestion.

bigmikelott

hello all well i am getting ready to cast blanks and i would like to know what kind of printer to usu to make labels also what program do i need to make the labels thanks mike

Top Bottom