Casting in the cold

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

what is the effect of casting in cold weather

any thoughts appreciated

Although in most cases I just wait until spring or summer,
I have cast in colder weather with good results.
there are a few things I do.
First go to a thrift, second hand, store.
Look for a warming tray. like for warming food not cooking it, ( NOT a portable electric burner !) and a small toaster oven.
If your warming tray does not have a temperature control place an old ceramic or granite tile on the top. This is keep the temp from getting too hot.
I use paper cups to mix the resin. While I am doing all the mixing I keep the can of resin and the cups of resin on the warming tray. If the can of resin is on the tray keep the lid loosened a little so pressure will not build up.

I also have another warming tray for under my pressure pot. again use a tile to disperse the heat if it has no temp. control
I use the toaster oven on the lowest it will go for warming the silicone molds and for setting the resin after the molds are full. The toaster oven is only good if you are using silicone molds. I have melted other types of molds.

what also works for keeping the resin in the molds warm, is a warming box I used to use a box with a portable heater pointed into it. Do not leave unattended.

Resin really likes the warm dry weather, but if you cannot wait and it is not too cold these always worked for me.

Alice

Jim Burr

Banned
I was casting in the 50's a few days ago...not sure if that qualifies as cold...The resin is thicker so the reaction takes longer. The other downside is it's harder to get bubbles out. Warming is good and pressure casting, if that's an option will really help.

seamus7227

consistent temperature is the key in my book. I cast year round from 30degrees to 110 degrees. Dont overheat your resin or once you add catalyst it will kick off faster which creates more heat which causes shrinkage and cracking(in extreme cases from too much heat). I use an ultrasonic cleaner from HF and it works great at warming the resin. I typically let it warm up with 2 or 3 cycles first so that i know the water is good and warm before i put the resin in there to bathe. Then the resin only sits for a 480 second cycle and i only use 3 drops of MEKP per ounce. Mix for 30 seconds and pour. I use pressure and have been leaving the pot outside in the garage where the temp has gotten down into the 40's and 50's with no problem. SWMBO got tired of the entire house smelling like resin.

resinman

My shop is only heated when I'm in it, or 1 hour or so before. I use Alumilite clear only and (although it is a little thicker cold) it has seemed to work great so far.
When it gets really cold, I keep it in the house and take it to my shop when needed.
Thanks, Gary

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
I cast year round and warm the resin in a hot water bath in a silicone measuring cup sitting in a large coffee mug. Mix and pour, place in pressure pot that's cold and leave overnight. I post cure in a small oven at 150 degrees for 5 minutes. This cures the blanks further and removes the tacky outside. Let cool and process the blank.
My shop is the garage and it's not heated. :frown:

Top Bottom