Casting in cold weather

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigguyZ

Ok, so I recently saw a post emploring people not to cast indoors. I have a basement shop below an apartment I rent out. I've done some minor finishing in there, and haven't had too many issues.

But, I'm thinking that the casting should be done in the garage, if there's that big of an issue with fumes. But as you all know, winter is fast approaching, and it's not mild in Minnesota.

I was going to pick up some PR from Michael's tomorrow using the 40% off coupon, but now I'm thinking that it may be a waste if the shelf life is short and I can't cast until spring/ summer....

Will the PR go to waste if I buy it now while it's on sale? Can I cast during the winter in a non-heated garage? Or, is it really not that big of a deal to cast in a basement?

I'm looking to expand my capabilities, so I'm eager to learn more about casting!

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jedgerton

It's going to take someone with more experience to tell you about the temperature question but regarding the Michael's coupon, they always run that special (nearly every week here in Texas).

If you can see your way clear to buy a gallon, it can be purchased for about $50 delivered to your door. Even with the Michael's 40% discount, a gallon of the Castin Craft material would be $72 + tax. Also, Michael's doesn't include the MEKP whereas my supplier includes it at no extra charge.

The next price break is at 5 gallons but I'm not ready for that yet.

John

DurocShark

*DurocShark beats the drum again

Put enough MEKP in to gel the resin at whatever temp your garage is at. Mine was down to 12* last night. I did 3 drops per ounce.

Toss in the toaster oven you bought at Walmart (or Target) for $20. Set to 150* for the max on the timer. Take it out and let it cool. Is it hard? If not, repeat the toaster treatment.

NOTE: REMEMBER TO CHANGE THE TEMP SETTING!!!!

I melted a blank yesterday because I forgot I had been melting solder last... And this blank was done and drilled. I was trying to cure the paint I sprayed inside the hole. :redface:

Smokey7385

A very simple method I have used is to put the mold under one of those aluminum shop lights that looks like an upside down funnel. With a 100 watt bulb it will produce enough heat to help cure the blanks. Just set the lamp so it is almost touching the mold. Simple and cheap for small quantities of casting.

PTownSubbie

I have also been pre-heating my molds in the toaster oven before I pour. This has a tendency to help the lower portion of the mold harden faster also.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
If you were to heat the garage, are we talking 40 deg or 80 deg for casting?

80 would be better, but 70 is fine. You only need a small area at that
temp, it isn't like the whole shop has to be warmed to make it work.

Some make a box with a light bulb in it and that works fine. Some use
an old refrigerator (one of those dorm room boxes is fine) and the light
bulb is more than enough to keep it toasty in there.

Top Bottom