Casting help needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rfturner

I am going to cast some tubes but I need to seal the work first. I used 1/32 in black and white tape it is supposed to look like a tux. the problem is that I dont know how I can seal the blank with out air bubbles I already tried clear paking tape but it messed it up any suggestions. The tape gives of a 3d look and I don't want to lose it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Why do you think you need to seal before casting. I cast lots of stuff in clear poly resin and rarely seal. I would try mod podge.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I am going to cast some tubes but I need to seal the work first. I used 1/32 in black and white tape it is supposed to look like a tux. the problem is that I dont know how I can seal the blank with out air bubbles I already tried clear paking tape but it messed it up any suggestions. The tape gives of a 3d look and I don't want to lose it.

jttheclockman

Not so much as air bubbles as the lifting of the tape will be a problem. It will shrink when the heat of the resin gets to it. Need to seal it some way. Good luck.

JohnU

I just took three blanks out of the tank this morning that were vinyl reflective tape to match the stripes on a local squad car. They were made and sat for three days before casting. I was hoping the adhesive would dry enough not to move. All three looked like squiggly leaches in the water, waving at me and not on the tubes. Im guessing the vinyl melts in the pr heat. If yours are not vinyl, they might work just fine. Hope you have better luck than me. John

Rfturner

I do not want the tape to come up, I made buttons and a bow tie on the shirt they do not have very much adhesive due to thier size There is a picture attached the tube is a Cigar Pen tube

Attachments

• DSC01308 (2).jpg
    DSC01308 (2).jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 149

capcrnch

I don't have an idea for you, other than CA, but, I wanted to tell you how much of a great idea you've got there. Can't wait to see a finished result!

RAdams

Banned
I wouldnt dare cast that with PR. The work will be all over the place. As mentioned, I would seriously consider building up CA over it. It might take alot of glue but i think it would be well worth it! That is pretty snazzy!

I dont know if Alumilite gets hot or not, so you might look into that?

JohnU

I would suggest alumilite also. I think it gets hot but it sets MUCH faster! maybe less time for the tape to move. If it were me, I think I would put some extra tape on another tube and hit with some thin ca to see if it holds or changes in any way.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Alumilite gets very hot. CA is the way to go. A couple coats of thin to seal it then lots of thick to build it up. Works great. I have a sierra that has a painted tube, couple layers of thick CA, gold leaf, several layers of CA, red ribbon, several layers of thick CA, gold leaf, several layers of thick CA to finish it off. Nothing shifted, nothing melted. You won't go wrong.

Rfturner

Thank you for all the responses I REALLY do not want to mess this one up I will try the thin Ca and follow it up with thick thank you for all the help I will post pics after I get it all done

Top Bottom