Casting contest ideas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Hey everyone. I'm working on a rough draft for my contest and wanted to run an idea by yall. Last year I had 3 categories: Colors, Tube On, and Embedded Object. I did not allow any CNC or laser assisted blanks to be eligible.

This year I was thinking of doing something along the lines of a freestyle category. That way there's no grief or argument from anyone. My big question is...do I just add a 4th category, OR cut a category. I guess it really breaks down to prize allowance.

My other internal debate is either using the same juding method as before, or going with the entry forms and public voting. Personally I prefer to have judges decide, but I can also see how the public voting can look more less biased. What are yall's thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
How many entries did each contest receive? Was there one that had little participation and could be eliminated and a open class/free style replace it. If you had good participation in all 3 then adding the 4th makes sense. Although I dont know if you will have a lot of entries it will probably grow in the future.

There is no perfect answer for judging do it the way you see best. Having the judges narrow the choices and then having the members choose the winners, gives them a sense of involvement.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
In my opinion the more member involvement the better. Especially during the Bash. After all, it is supposed to be a party.

Sent from my DROID4 using Forum Runner

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I am inclined to think the "4th" category would have few entries and most of us know now who they would most likely be. I could be wrong, and future contest might grow as Mike said, but I'm not sure if 4 casting categories are really needed at this point. I do know from experience that no matter how many categories and no matter the criteria, you will ALWAYS have those who claim they are being unfairly judged or left out for some reason or another. I'm not criticizing your desire to add to the casting contest, it is only an opinion.

Landon

Buzzzz4

The only thing left out out of the three categories in my opinion are the laser and decorative lathe assisted blanks which can easily be used in other competitions. To me, the three would be sufficient.

Brooks803

Thanks for the input! All good points to consider.

The reason why I was tinkering with the idea of the 4th category is bc of how surprised I was at the number of entries we had. Many of them I never knew cast plus they had some great skills. This might not be the year for it, but I think down the road it should be something to strongly consider.

I do like the idea of using judges to narrow down the field and then go to a public vote. Will there be a link to the entry forms for us to use?

Mike to answer your question:

14 entries for the Tube On

21 entries for the color casting

14 entries for the embedded object

That all being said I'm going to reuse the same outline as last year. 3 categories, same rules. Only change might be the judging/voting process.

Last edited:
Top Bottom