• Pen 10

Votes: 29 39.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen 1 Cholla cactus cast with Allumilite (with red dye and some red mica).
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pen 1b.jpg
    Pen 1b.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 570
  • Pen 1c.jpg
    Pen 1c.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 588
  • Pen 1a.jpg
    Pen 1a.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 876
Last edited by a moderator:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen 2

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
Pen 2 My entry is a piece of maple burl "worthless wood" from Rocky. I have stabilized it with Cactus Juice. Next I cast it with Alumilite, colored with Purple mica cosmetic powder and pearl-ex for some sparkle. I bring the pressure pot up to 50 pounds for my castings. I knock the edges off with a bandsaw before I turn these worthless wood castings to ensure I don't damage the blank. I use carbide tools to shape it, then coat with thin CA (before I sand) so I don't introduce dust. I then sand to 800 grit and finish with a good buffing on the Beall buffing wheels. It's mounted on a Majestic Jr. from Smitty I really enjoy doing these castings.

Attachments

• pen 2a.jpg
    pen 2a.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 596
  • pen 2b.jpg
    pen 2b.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 577
  • pen 2c.jpg
    pen 2c.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 579

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen 4

attachment.php

I used a Sierra Vista pen kit. I painted the tubes black, glued on the carbon fiber. I bent the mini pennies to the shape of the brass tube, then glued onto the carbon fiber. I then cast with a resin save mold using Polyester Resin. I turned using TBC bushings, sanding and polishing through 12000. Then polished with plastic polish.

Attachments

• pen 4a.jpg
    pen 4a.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 594
  • pen 4b.jpg
    pen 4b.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 369

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen 5

An acrylic and Kona coffee wood hybrid, designed to look like islands in the ocean. Pen kit used was a Princess with blue stones.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• pen 5a.jpg
    pen 5a.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 353
  • pen 5b.jpg
    pen 5b.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 564
  • pen 5c.jpg
    pen 5c.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 567

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen 6

Title: Rivalry Pen

On the Friday following Thanksgiving every year, we play what is known as the Apple Cup football game. Like many areas around the country, this is a time when rival teams vie for bragging rights. It doesn't matter whether you are 12-0 or 0-11, you can kiss all stats out the window because all anyone wants is to beat the tweedle out of that cross-state, cross-city, cross-region rival. Like many homes across America, we are fortunate (or is it unfortunate) to have members that are now at or have attended both schools.
Several years ago, I made a jacket illustrating this fact so I could wear to the Apple Cup along with both hats. Out of sympathy to my daughter, who is a senior at one of the schools, I told her whomever possessed the football, I would wear that school's hat and root for them. I wanted to make a pen that would also carry on this theme... After all, we are as it truly states, A House Divided!
Pen is a Chrome/Satin Chrome Manhattan. I took the brass tube, painted it white and affixed decals and then cast. I used the face tattoos from each school that the kids put on for the game. I then cast the blank in Tap Clear-Lite Casting Resin, turned, dry sanded to 600, then wet sanded with MM to 12,000. The blank then had 6 coats of Novus 2 applied and polished out at maximum speed on the lathe. Thanks for looking. Go Dawks! Go Cougs!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• pen 6b.JPG
    pen 6b.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 547
  • pen 6c.JPG
    pen 6c.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 555
  • pen 6a.JPG
    pen 6a.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 564

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen 7

The kit used is a Chrome Plated Vertex Rollerball
This pen was made with genuine Blue Paua Abalone shell from New Zealand.
I was able to cast this pen using one piece of shell veneer instead of multiple strips like most Abalone pens that I've seen. I used a special process to bend the shell around the tube without breaking it.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pen 7a.JPG
    Pen 7a.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 573
  • pen 7b.JPG
    pen 7b.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 872
  • Pen 7c.JPG
    Pen 7c.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 560

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen 8

This is alumilite mixed with orange pearl-ex powder and red pearl from DuPont. I added alumilite dye to both colors to make them a little deeper. The kit is an Olympian II.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• pen 8a.jpg
    pen 8a.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 561
  • pen 8b.jpg
    pen 8b.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 528
  • pen 8c.jpg
    pen 8c.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 554

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen 9

The blank on this pen was hand, painted. It required about 10 layers of transparent paint on the Tube. Each layer required a day or two of drying time. There are 4 different brands of paints used to achieve the result on the pen blank. I had to seal the final layer before I casted it in clear resin. The pen used turned down to size. From this point I added 3-5 more layers of watered down paints. Each layer required a day or so to dry before having to seal it one last time and finish with a CA, Polish and put together. It took about 3 or 4 weeks to make from start to finish. It has an incredible depth to it that is hard to see in the pictures because of all the layers of paint and how the light reflects in it.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• pen 9a.jpg
    pen 9a.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 839
  • pen 9b.jpg
    pen 9b.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 525
  • pen 9c.jpg
    pen 9c.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 540

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pen 10

Watch Parts pen cast in Alumilite clear resin. Pen kit used is an Aero.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• pen 10b.JPG
    pen 10b.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 437
  • pen 10c.JPG
    pen 10c.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 393
  • pen 10d.JPG
    pen 10d.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 435

RobS

That was harder than I expected. Hats off to everyone. They were all exquisite entries. Broke my heart to have to choose.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Will we be able to see the descriptions of the pens and how the blanks were made? I'm curious about the mini pennies!

Very nice pens!
Do to the many problems I had in downloading the photos, and problems with my computer, I had to ask someone else to post the photos for me. SOME of the descriptions were quite lengthy, and in depth. Some were sending PM's asking where the photos were. I am SO HAPPY to, see them. Sorry if anyone feels neglected because of this.

Good luck! :wink:

stuckinohio

No worries. There are some really nice pens. Using my phone, I can't tell what one of the pens is (#7) I assume it's abalone, but I can't tell.

Will we be able to see the descriptions of the pens and how the blanks were made? I'm curious about the mini pennies!

Very nice pens!
Do to the many problems I had in downloading the photos, and problems with my computer, I had to ask someone else to post the photos for me. SOME of the descriptions were quite lengthy, and in depth. Some were sending PM's asking where the photos were. I am SO HAPPY to, see them. Sorry if anyone feels neglected because of this.

Good luck! :wink:

Ironwood

Well done to all the entrants here, good job, they are all worthy of a prize.

I like these full size photos in the posts, makes it much easier to see the pens and decide than just having thumbnails, and having to click and wait for each one to open. Can be quite painful on a slow internet connection.

Top Bottom