Casting Competition Entry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MIKL

MIKL

For my entry this year I made 2 blanks in order to pick from
Both pens incorporate a Bicycle Playing Card from a deck based on Owls

Pen 1 has Flexible Paua Abalone Veneer, with Watch Parts, Purple wire and Armor Plates
Not sure if anyone noticed but the Paua Shell is one piece and bends around the tube with only 1 seam, not lots of little bits

Pen 2 has Mother of Pearl Strips, Purple Wire, Watch Parts and Armor Plates
the colors in this pen were very hard to capture in a Photo so i selected the Abalone

Many Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote in the competition
Many Thanks also to all the people behind the scenes

There was a great number of entries this year and all were quality pens ... Well Done everyone

Now to come up with a new concept for next year :)

C&C Welcome
MIK

Attachments

• three a.jpg
    three a.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 229
  • two a.jpg
    two a.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 239
  • DSCN0127.JPG
    DSCN0127.JPG
    373.5 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCN0128.JPG
    DSCN0128.JPG
    377.6 KB · Views: 210
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I did vote for it. I think there were 3 votes we were allowed. I know I voted at one time for it. Had an inkling it was yours. I just got some of that flexible abalone the other day. How was it to appy?/ Did you do the soaking in vinegar or did you use the heat gun?? Nice pen for sure. Your white one you used an idea that I have in mind too. The material between the strips to take your eye away from the seams. Figured someone would come up with that idea before I get to use it. Just too many things on my plate. But if you see it again just saying.😀

MIKL

I did vote for it. I think there were 3 votes we were allowed. I know I voted at one time for it. Had an inkling it was yours. I just got some of that flexible abalone the other day. How was it to appy?/ Did you do the soaking in vinegar or did you use the heat gun?? Nice pen for sure. Your white one you used an idea that I have in mind too. The material between the strips to take your eye away from the seams. Figured someone would come up with that idea before I get to use it. Just too many things on my plate. But if you see it again just saying.😀
The veneer you have has a coating on it, this one has no coating, but the veneer has tiny fractures all over the surface
I just rolled it around the tube, it does lift in places but the watch parts holds it back down and the seam is barely visible
I do have some of the Veneer that you have but i haven't played with it yet, i will probably go with the hot water and have a heat gun at the ready just to cover all bases
I used the purple wire because i don't like the open seams that most abalone blanks have
Thanks for your initial vote mate ... i really look forward to seeing what the final vote count was, i hope it was close on all 3 of the finalists
MIK

magpens

@MIKL

Both pens are outstanding !!!

Very well done !!! . Congratulations !!! . Thanks for showing !!

BTW ... picture #2 is not coming through to me.

Top Bottom