Cast my first Cactus pen,,,,,,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevers

Hi All,
Last night I cast my first cactus blank. I feel it was quite successful. What do you all think? Especially you Curtis? I used a little pearl white and some Sapphire blue mica powder. I didn't de-gas the resin, just went right in the pot at 40+ pounds. Pulled it this morning and let the outside dry. I turned it tonight. I remember Curtis saying something about how it feels when you get into the finer grits of the finish sanding. The blanks felt ruff, like there was high spots on the surface. I just worked thru it and the finish came out very satisfactory. Speaking of which, Curtis, do you use anything for a finish? Like CA?

Anyway, here it is. This is the same pen shot from both sides.

200781442119_My%20first%20Cactus%20pen%20650%201.jpg

20078144227_My%20first%20Cactus%20pen%20650%202.jpg

What do you think Curtis. Is it cactusy enough? Should I try to stuff more cactus in the mold?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Originally posted by stevers
<br />Come on Curtis, your not mad at me are you?

Heavens no, Steve! Been real busy organizing a Trap and Skeet Shoot for the local Home Builders Association that I am President of. The shoot is tomorrow if Tropical Storm Erin does not give us heck! We are only 200 miles from the coast which is not too far!

Anyway, the pen looks great and I am honored that you especially asked for my feedback. I really like the blue. I usually just finish the pen with good sanding and Hut Plastic Polish (or whatever its complete name is). I do not worry about a CA finish unless I really want a super gloss. Alumilite (which is what I use) polishes up to a nice shine but not quite as shiny as CA.

More cactus skeleton is always good if you can get it. This one looks quite good, though!

Thanks again for asking my opinion and don't worry, if I was mad for any reason, I would let you know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom