Cases for knitting needles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jscola

Has anyone turned knitting needle cases ? Do they make kits for making them ? A woman who has a knitting store want's me to make some . The man that used to make them retired. SHE says they have metal caps on the ends & one end has a threaded cap. Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I'd be interested in knowing how he was doing it, though.
Knitting needles are somewhere around 8-12" long aren't they??
And that would mean drilling a hole for quite a long distance??

tipusnr

I'd almost wonder if it wouldn't be easier to split the blank, remove the inside material on a router table and glue it back together. Then turn the blank between friction centers or run a threaded rod through the center and use nuts at either end to hold it while turning between centers.

Anyway you do it - it sounds like a heck of a project!

KenV

I am most interested too. I live with a spinner knitter. The needles range from 3 inches long to about a foot long. Most are in long narrow boxes form Japan. I can get up to about 4-5 inches with my Beal Treen kit and have done a middle split container (think a long turned box with a really long top.

New ideas always appreciated!!

Fangar

Originally posted by penhead
<br />I'd be interested in knowing how he was doing it, though.
Knitting needles are somewhere around 8-12" long aren't they??
And that would mean drilling a hole for quite a long distance??

I have a lamp boring auger that is 3/8" diameter. It is made to be used with a hollow live center that allows the stock to be suspended between centers. It works very well. I think that two knitting needles would certainly fit inside of the 3/8" hole. It works well even with the mini lathes. It is made by crown and was around 40 bucks or so.

For some reason, the tool is not listed on the Woodcraft website, though the hollow centers are (Shown to be closeout). But from the photo, you can see the application.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1759

Cheers,

Fangar

jscola

Fangar, thanks for the info.Theres a woodcraft store next to the lady's knitting store. I will check it out. Ken , as soon as I get a look at the sample the knitting lady has I will let you guys know. I can't post pictures because first I don't own a good camera, and if I did own one I non't know how to post. Joe

txbob

Joe,
Sounds like the guy used Hollowood, a wooden tube product that Woodcraft used to sell. See http://www2.woodcraft.com/pdf/77B07.pdf for a little info. It was available in several diameters, with matching brass caps, both closed end and threaded. Maybe you can find a supplier, as Woodcraft doesn't seem to carry it anymore.
Keep on turning,
txbob

Originally posted by jscola
<br />Has anyone turned knitting needle cases ? Do they make kits for making them ? A woman who has a knitting store want's me to make some . The man that used to make them retired. SHE says they have metal caps on the ends & one end has a threaded cap. Joe

RogerGarrett

I don't think that knitting kneedles are too far removed from conduting batons - which I have been making for nearly 10 years - along with various different kinds of cases.

Here is a pic of a small case that would hold a set of knitting needles:

006617184633_small%20baton%20case%20open%20resized.jpg

I can tell you exactly how to make this case if you are interested.[:D]

Best,
Roger Garrett

jscola

Bob,Thanks for the info on the hollowood. I'll try to find it on the web. I'm still waiting for a sample from the knitting store. I just did a slim line pen & key chain in acrilic for her and will see her next week. I hope she has a sample. Roger, If you could tell me how to make the small case I would like to try some. Could you E-Mail me? Thanks guys, Joe

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Nice case, Roger. I'm sure if you whipped up a tutorial on how to make boxes like that it would be well-read and of course adapted for different lengths for batons, knitting needles and pens.

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Nice case, Roger. I'm sure if you whipped up a tutorial on how to make boxes like that it would be well-read and of course adapted for different lengths for batons, knitting needles and pens.

Thanks for the compliment - I sell about 70 of these a year - not a lot - but at $30 each, it pays for wood and pen kits[:D][:D]

I've received a few requests since posting - and I guess I'll try to take some pictures on a new run here in the next week or two.

In the meantime, those of you who asked, I'll try to explain without pics.....via email.

Best,
Roger Garrett

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by RogerGarrett
<br />
Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Nice case, Roger. I'm sure if you whipped up a tutorial on how to make boxes like that it would be well-read and of course adapted for different lengths for batons, knitting needles and pens.

Thanks for the compliment - I sell about 70 of these a year - not a lot - but at $30 each, it pays for wood and pen kits[:D][:D]

I've received a few requests since posting - and I guess I'll try to take some pictures on a new run here in the next week or two.

In the meantime, those of you who asked, I'll try to explain without pics.....via email.

Best,
Roger Garrett

Great, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom