carved cane

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glenn McCullough

Its been 5 years since I carved my last cane, when I started making pens . Well, I promised an old fella near my home 5 years ago that I would one day make one for him. He's in his late 80's and walks 7 miles a day to and from his wifes grave...thats his job these days. It keeps him going. I felt I better do it before its toolate and I regret it.
My photo tent and lighting is set up for pens, not for canes, so forgive the photography. Wish I could get some detail of the eyes as they came out better than they used to.

Attachments

• cane 001.JPG
    cane 001.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 166
  • cane 011.JPG
    cane 011.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 165
  • cane 012.JPG
    cane 012.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 137
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

altaciii

I have a small collection of canes that I use and am partial to the natural looking wood shaft. The cane is beautiful, I would like to know what kind of wood you used. Was it green or have you been saving it for 5 years to dry?

The cane staff is an unknown wood. It is a stick I found in the woods about 8 years ago and has a very exciting bark that when lightly sanded has an amazing pattern to it...so I left it. The handle is from a 2x6x12 piece of teak that I got with my first lathe whenI bought it used about 6 years ago. I thought it would be best since he walks in all kinds of weather. The handle design inspiration came from a cane making book byTom Wolf. The handle was drilled before carving using a 1-1/4" keyhole saw bit, leaving a dowell with a hole in the center to set into the brass ferrul, attached to the staff that had a matching dowell. They were bolted together with a bolt used to screw bedbosts on. Finish is wipe on poly.
Hoe this helps.

That's nice work. I am sure he will appreciate it. Give us some details: wood, finish, how you joined the handle to the shaft.

Top Bottom