Carter Guides for Rikon 10-325 Bandsaw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

budnder

With some recent birthday money burning a hole in my pocket, I got in the mood to treat my bandsaw to a new blade and some new guides from Carter Products. I thought I'd share my experience with the upgrade. In short, I'm happy with the upgrade, but maybe not quite as happy as I thought I'd be. Time will tell, but since they're easier to adjust, I think I'm more than likely to keep the guides tuned up, whereas I didn't like futzing with the Rikon guides and consequently was not good about keeping them set up correctly.

I ordered the $209 "RIK14DMA- Rikon 14" Deluxe with Micro-Adjustable Guides" upgrade kit off of Carter's website and shipping was incredibly fast – I think I got them in two days. There was no instructions included, just a few plastic bags of parts in a box. There was definitely some head scratching as I compared the various bits that I received to the Rikon bits they were replacing.

If you notice, Carter sells two versions for the 14" Rikon upgrade kits - a "Standard Rikon" and a "Deluxe Rikon". The difference looks to be primarily in the lower guide, where the "standard" expects to be bolted to the frame, and the "deluxe" expects to have a square hole receiver/set screw arrangement. Even though my original lower guide was bolted to the frame (so appears to be a better match to the Carter "standard Rikon 14" guide), it does have a square hole in the right place to accept the "deluxe Rikon 14" Carter guide (and I scrounged my own M6x40 set bolt for it).

So... even though I clearly have a saw labeled "Rikon 14" Deluxe", the Carter upgrade kit marked "standard" looks to be more of an exact match for my old Rikon guide. However, I actually like the way the "Deluxe" Carter attaches better. I don't think it matters, but there's no provision on the Carter guides for the plastic blade guard that attaches to the lower Rikon guide.

The upper Carter guide is where I ran into a little issue. I was only able to get the edge of the guide to within 1/8" of the back of the blade gullet, rather than the suggested 1/16". The forward travel needed is blocked by the Rikon blade shroud. I'm willing to live with it, but have contacted Carter to see if I'm missing something about the way I installed it and will update this post if I hear back from them.

Each of the Rikon options from Carter (standard Rikon 14 and deluxe Rikon 14) also has separate version that is tool-less for an additional $30. I got this tool-less version. It looks like all this amounts to is an extra bag of thumb screws in your kit so you can remove the guide wheel's Allen screws from the non-tool-less version and replace them with the thumbscrews.

Attachments

• IAPLowerGuide.jpg
    IAPLowerGuide.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 1,003
  • IAPSquarePegSquareHole.jpg
    IAPSquarePegSquareHole.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 615
  • IAPBlockedTravel.jpg
    IAPBlockedTravel.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 701
  • IAPToolLessOption.jpg
    IAPToolLessOption.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 545
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Roy, the question that comes up is where is the placement of your blade on the wheels. 2 schools of thought when it comes to placement of the blade on the wheels, the closer to the crown of the wheel the teeth are the better control and better cut you will get. You may need to have your blade roll back a bit. With that size blade that bearing setup will work fine if you are happy with the blade placement on the wheels.

budnder

I have the blade riding such that the deepest part of the gullet is in the center of the tire - as per the Snodgrass/Carter youtube bandsaw setup video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

With this 3/4" size blade, that means I'm almost off the tire on the back side, so I didn't really want to back the tracking up any further.

jttheclockman

Then you should be fine. I thought that was a large blade. I bought those for my Delta and took them off and went back to my cool blocks. With smaller blades you need to be careful that the bearings do not hit the teeth. Dull blade instantly. I use 3/16" blade a lot. I sometimes use the Carter guide that attaches to the front top guides. That works quite well. Good luck and happy sawing.:)

budnder

If I was to think about how I use my bandsaw... I'd say it's 80% cutoff's with a cross-cut sled, and 20% resawing. So I just leave the 3/4" resaw blade on there because it works fine for cutoffs.

I've got some projects where I'll do some scrolling coming up, so will put on a much smaller blade for that. I did like the videos I saw of the Carter top guide that's more designed for scrolling, and thought about going ahead and getting them last week as well. But I decided to hold on that until I saw how these worked out.

jttheclockman

I can tell you that one works well if you do scrolling and even bandsaw boxes. Just always remember let the blade do the work and do not force the piece. A blade can only cut so fast. That is why a lot of people get frustrated with scroll saw work. It is too slow for them.

I've go a General Machinery, (Harbor Freight), 14" band saw and added the Carter Guide kit, and a 6" riser kit from Grizzly (exact match!). I routinely resaw 12" Mesquite, Oak, Walnut with great results. THe guide kit was easy to install and adjust, but the instructions were lacking. It turned a so-so saw into a very good one!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks for this thread. The unsealed lower guides on my 10-325 have failed & I plan to order some Carter guides. I've been trying to decide which ones - after reading this, I think I will go with the same ones that you ordered.

budnder

First off, Kudos to Carter for emailing me and calling me back.

Regarding the lower mount attachment... from my conversation I gathered that Rikon used to only attach their lower guide via the post/set screw method, and, in fact, their saws are still manufactured to accept that for now. However at some recent time, they started tapping the frame and mounting their guides with a horizontal bolt. So the Carter guide attaches the way the Rikon used to. I actually prefer the feel of this "old way" to the new way my Rikon guides were attached, so all's well that end's well.

Regarding the upper mount and the 1/8" or so of adjustment it seemed to be lacking because of the collision with the blade shroud... that's just the way it is - it's not a perfect fit. The shroud is already notched, just not quite enough to suit the Carter guide, and there's nothing structural that would prevent me from taking my Dremel and notching it another 1/8", which is what I think I'll do.

In summary and in hind site, I'd order exactly the same thing again. The two pieces of advice I'd have are...

1) make sure your Rikon has that lower post hole to receive the Carter guide, especially if it's a newer saw (mine's a year old). If your existing Rikon guide doesn't use that post hole, figure on a trip to Menards to grab an M6x40 to use as a set screw for it.

2) understand your upper guide side wheels may not quite sit as close to the gullet as you'd like unless you do a little work with your Dremel. The thrust bearing has adjustment forward/backward, so no issue there, and that's more critical anyway.

Golfbuddy45

I was considering buying the RIK14DMA from Carter but having doubts right now. Rikon is now offering an UPGRADE GUIDES KIT that includes finger adjustable guides and also comes with a new IMPROVED YELLOW protective cover to replace the cover on my RIKON 14" Deluxe Bandsaw.

Buy Rikon Bearing Guide Retrofit Kit at Woodcraft.com

Has anyone received one of these yet? Need to know more about the Carter vs the RIKON upgrade..

TIA - - and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL....

GB45

PS - -I need to spend more time on this Forum . . .

Last edited:

flyitfast

I was considering buying the RIK14DMA from Carter but having doubts right now. Rikon is now offering an UPGRADE GUIDES KIT that includes finger adjustable guides and also comes with a new IMPROVED YELLOW protective cover to replace the cover on my RIKON 14" Deluxe Bandsaw.

Has anyone received one of these yet? Need to know more about the Carter vs the RIKON upgrade..

GB45

I have installed the Rikon upgrade and I am very happy with it. The installation was easy. Recommended: view the Video on Rikon's website for the upgrade which helps make things easier and understandable.
RIKON Power Tools

The upgrade really shines after a blade change when you have to align the blade/bearings. No wrenches - just simple large and easy to turn knobs. Really helps with the lower bearings ease of setup. The bearing adjustment are spring loaded and easy to move into place and then tighten.
Definitely worth the price if you have to change blades very often.

If you have a Woodcraft, etc nearby they should have that model bandsaw - good chance to check it out before buying.,

Gordon

Last edited:

oldtoolsniper

GB45

I have installed the Rikon upgrade and I am very happy with it. The installation was easy. Recommended: view the Video on Rikon's website for the upgrade which helps make things easier and understandable.
RIKON Power Tools

The upgrade really shines after a blade change when you have to align the blade/bearings. No wrenches - just simple large and easy to turn knobs. Really helps with the lower bearings ease of setup. The bearing adjustment are spring loaded and easy to move into place and then tighten.

If you have a Woodcraft, etc nearby they should have that model bandsaw - good chance to check it out before buying.,

Gordon

Are there any issues with the Rikon produced upgrade that you have found? I don't change blades like I should because it's a pain in the brain adjusting with those Allen wrenches. I'm ready to upgrade so I can get the full use out of my saw. I don't right now because I hate the adjustments.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

oldtoolsniper

Followed that video posted above in this thread. Took me a little longer to adjust mine, all stock from the factory new in 2007. I can say it saws the best it ever has.

Here is what I learned.

I have a Rikon 14" 10-325 purchased new in 2007.

Taking it apart will teach you a lot about what is going on with the saw.

Take the table off, it's a pain but it's oh so worth it.

One bearing on the lower guide was locked up, got it working with Kroil but I'm afraid she's a goner. These bearing are (I assume) not sealed so working Kroil into it was easy. I'm sure sawdust follows the same path. Not sure what a sealed bearing looks like, but I doubt you can get oil into them. I'm betting I can find replacement bearings fairly inexpensively on the open market.

The lower guide won't advance out far enough to adjust in accordance with the video, adding shims solves that. Having that table off makes all of this easy.

There isn't really much to the factory guides on these things. Adjusting them with Allen wrenches is easy with the table off, not so much with the table on. I may replace the attaching bolts on the table with a tool less option if I can find something that will work.

I leaned to set my table square on a scroll saw with the 2x4 trick but it never occurred to me to do that with a bandsaw. Simple and effective.

Thanks for posting this thread, I have learned a lot from it.

Merry Christmas to me, I'm ordering the upgrade today!

Last edited:

flyitfast

GB45

RIKON Power Tools

Gordon

Are there any issues with the Rikon produced upgrade that you have found? I don't change blades like I should because it's a pain in the brain adjusting with those Allen wrenches. I'm ready to upgrade so I can get the full use out of my saw. I don't right now because I hate the adjustments.

No issues with the Rikon upgrade - maybe a few issues with my fumble fingers!! I really appreciate what Rikon has done.
I know what you mean on the old adjustment and the tools necessary - I always needed three hands.

flyitfast

GB45

RIKON Power Tools

Gordon

No issues with the Rikon upgrade - maybe a few issues with my fumble fingers!! I really appreciate what Rikon has done.
I know what you mean on the old adjustment and the tools necessary - I always needed three hands.

Golfbuddy45

Glad to hear that some of you have tried the RIKON GUIDE UPGRADE and they work well. Save $40 over the standard CARTER upgrade or $60 over the MICRONIZED upgrade and some people have had issues with installing the Carters.

GB45

Golfbuddy45

After looking at the Rikon Guides that are on the RIKON 10-326 I decided to order the Rikon Upgrade Kit. Truth be told I wish the 10-326 had been available when I bought the 10-325. The new model 10-326 has all the guides upgrades included plus an upgraded fence system for the same price I originally paid for the 10-325....

By the way the new bearings in the UPGRADE KIT are more than twice as large as the original set - maybe 3x larger...

I will post a new thread with details of the upgrade installation and bandsaw differences after the upgrade...

Top Bottom