Carter and Son Tools - anybody use them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
It's time to pick up a few new tools and I want to step up from M2 to either M42 or powder/particle. I already know Thompson get rave reviews but I have a few gift certificates to CSUSA and have been eyeing some Carter & Son. Has anybody used them and what's your honest opinion? Does the M42 + 10% cobalt hold an edge noticeably longer than M2? I really like their roughing gouge because it's milled from a billet, so instead of a rectangular tang it's round like a gouge which means it's much stronger where roughing gouges are known to have a weak point. The flutes of their gouges are also polished which is supposed to allow for a keener edge, again can anybody verify or dispell this claim?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear! I'll be ordering a 7/8" roughing gouge and a 1/2" spindle gouge tomorrow and making my own handles for them.

JimB

I have one of their 5/8" bowl gouges. It holds an edge longer than M2 steel. It last as long, perhaps a bit longer, than my Thompson bowl gouges.

another consideration is flute design. carter and Son bowl gouge is parabolic which is why I bought it. Thompson bowl gouges are available in 'V' and 'U' flutes, not parabolic.

Buckmark13

I have one of their 5/8" bowl gouges. It holds an edge longer than M2 steel. It last as long, perhaps a bit longer, than my Thompson bowl gouges.

another consideration is flute design. carter and Son bowl gouge is parabolic which is why I bought it. Thompson bowl gouges are available in 'V' and 'U' flutes, not parabolic.
I've been considering a C&S bowl gouge as well, so I'm following along here.

Specifically for bowl turning, is a parabolic, V, or U shape preferred and why?

Thanks for the post TattooedTurner; I'm between C&S and Thompson as well!

JimB

i use both V and parabolic. I have a V from Thompson and a V from Woodriver (woodcraft brand). The V from Thompson is much better than the V from Woodriver due to the shape of the V. The Thompson V is wider and clears the chips much better than the Woodriver.

The parabolic C&S i Ground with what is called a 40/40 grind. It is a grind popular with Stuart Batty. It is a free hand grind using only a platform. He recommends a parabolic flute for this grind. I find this bowl gouge gives a superior finishing cut but I also use it for roughing a bowl.

i believe Sorby, Oneway and Benjamin's best all have parabolic flutes.

i can't say which is better, V or parabolic. It is a personal choice. For me they both are excellent.

You're welcome! I've been tossing up between the two for months now.
I plan on getting a Thompson 5/8" spindle gouge for hollowing larger end grain boxes since C&S doesn't make one in that size... IF I need it. I ordered a C&S 1/2" spindle gouge & 7/8" roughing gouge today and will likely stay with C&S for my other tools for 3 reasons: They have a harder Rockwell rating than Thompson, the gouges have a polished flute, and M42 takes a sharper edge than powder/particle metal.

TonyL

You may want to take a look at D Way too. I believe C&S shares his "formula" I use 3 of his chisels (and Thompson and Sorby). For some reason. I find myself sharpening D-ways less.https://d-waytools.com/

bmachin

In case anyone wants a Thompson bowl gouge with a parabolic flute see here:

Also available with a Thompson handle or wood handle.

Not selling; don't own one; just learned about them talking to Lyle at the AAW symposium last summer.

I DO own a few of the Thompson handles and like them a lot.

Bill

LPSteinmetz

Hello. I'm new here and new to turning. I'll give a more proper introduction later but I found this thread right before getting ready to turn in for the night and it caught my attention.

I have been researching the Carter and Son gouges and have in fact had a couple of email exchanges with C&S and was wondering if you bought the Mahoney gouges. The below quote is part of an answer I got from them when I asked them about the difference between the Mahoney line and their other gouges as well as discussing the 40/40 grind.

Their reply:

"The key difference between the Mahoney line, and our standard gouges, is twofold. First off, the flute geometry of the Mahoney gouges is parabolic. This more open shape allows for the second difference, which is the grind profile. The Mahoney gouges have a swept back grind (the parabolic flute lends itself to this profile). Meanwhile, our standard line of bowl gouges have a fingernail grind and "v" shape flute."

JimB

Yes, I neglected to mention I bought the Mahoney line of Carter and Son tool. It required only a little grinding to get it to the 40/40 grind.

Top Bottom