Caribbean Swirl Jr. Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from constamj

constamj

I worked on this a couple weeks ago and just got around to taking the pictures. Please feel free to give me feedback good or bad. I'm new to this art and want to learn as much as I can.

200832403722_CarBlue1.jpg

200832403734_CarBlueOpen1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Nicely done Michael,

I turn a lot of CSUSA celluloid, including this one. Do you paint your tubes? I find that if I paint them white it adds a radiance to the look of the pen, black on the tubes brings it down a bit and adds density to the look. Just sharing an idea.

Again the pen looks great.[8D]

constamj

Jim, I did not paint the tube on this one. I wish I had. Near the edges I can see some brass show through. What type of paint do you use? Do you spray the tube or the hole in the blank? Does this cause any problems with the glue being used?

Thanks for the insight.

rdunn12

You can paint your tubes with Krylon or other spray paints.Krylon dries fast.Glue it in with epoxy after painting.I have'nt had any problems.

ldb2000

Wonderful pen love the color
For the tubes get the nickel plated tubes from craft supply (or an chrome electroplating kit ) the shiny silver makes the lighter colors pop

Randy_

I have seen those blanks in the catalog and have been considering the purchase of a few. Now that I have seen your pen I will definitely put a few on order. They are very nice.

I am in partial agreement with the previous poster who thought the pen was too fat. I think the cap is just fine. It is the barrel that strikes me as being a little bulky and in need of a light trim.

I always look at how the barrel and the end cap meet up. I like to see the angle of the end cap and the angle of the barrel be the same or very nearly so, so that the transition between the two is very smooth. My personal preference is not to see a sharp angular difference at that point on the pen......others may prefer a different look.

Originally posted by constamj

Jim, I did not paint the tube on this one. I wish I had. Near the edges I can see some brass show through. What type of paint do you use? Do you spray the tube or the hole in the blank? Does this cause any problems with the glue being used?

Thanks for the insight.

I clean the tubes with a light sanding of 220 paper, then spray on white paint that I bought at HD (Krylon), I do use epoxy as my glue now over CA. I find I get better coverage with epoxy and a more even coverage as well. I sometimes roll up some 220 into a roll and lightly sand the inside of the drilled hole id I think the drilling marks might show through on more transparent blanks.

I hope this helps.

constamj

Jim, thanks for the input. I will try this on the next one. I did buy some epoxy but have not tried it. Looks like it is time to give it a shot. Thanks again to everyone for the input.

BrentK

Instead of painting you can use paint pigments and color the epoxy. I use colored epoxy when building my fishing rods. Just mix the pigments in with the epoxy works really nice.

constamj

So I have heard that the pen is a little pregnant by a number of people. I was trying to make the cap and body the same diameter. Should the body generally be thinner than the cap?

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by constamj

So I have heard that the pen is a little pregnant by a number of people. I was trying to make the cap and body the same diameter. Should the body generally be thinner than the cap?

I like to swell them a little bit, too, and your cap looks fine to me, but the body's a little puffy since it's swelled out to the same diameter as the cap. I think it's more a proportion thing. When I do Barons, I try to match the radius of the swell from one piece to another, and if the fittings on the pen side are a little smaller, the blank is going to be a little smaller, too, but the swell will look the same. Does that make sense? Hope so. :)

constamj

It does make sense. I will have to give that a try on the next one or two and see how they look. Thanks again for your input. BTW: the next one should be one of the Simbawa blanks.

Top Bottom