carbon fiber cloudy from thin ca

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Quality Pen

So im making some carbon fiber blanks but even when i drizzle a small amount of thin ca it clouds up. Then im stuck trying to clean it which seems to take the longest of any step.

What am i missing? Or messing up rather? Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Si90

Carbon fibre blanks look dreadfull before you cast them. When you cast it the resin will give the wet look back to the carbon.

My procedure is as follows. Slide the sleeve on the pen and tie up the ends. Flood and I mean flood the CF with super thin CA in an effort to replace all the air caught in the fibres with CA. Allow minimum of 24 hours to cure. I then trim them, square up the ends and wet sand them until almost smooth to remove stray fibres and the excess CA. Allow 24 hours to dry and then cast in PR.

Couple of progress shots of a couple of watch parts pens below if that helps. First one shows the results when sanded.

Attachments

• image-4.jpeg
    image-4.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 211
  • image-5.jpeg
    image-5.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 219
  • image-6.jpeg
    image-6.jpeg
    360.5 KB · Views: 204
  • BaronWatchpens2_zps34324a13.jpg
    BaronWatchpens2_zps34324a13.jpg
    719.7 KB · Views: 211

Si90

It certainly doesn't look as good as before you put the CA on. After sanding it still looks grey and a bit drab. Make sure after sanding you give them a really good wash and scrub to remove any dust from the sanding process.

Attachments

• image-2.jpeg
    image-2.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 195

79spitfire

Can I ask a stupid question?

Well, ok, I will anyway...

Is the carbon fiber your using for making wire harness bundles?

Si90

I use carbon fibre sleeving. It's used to add strength or to cosmetically enhance weaker or less attractive tubes. I have looked at pre finished tubes which are intended for RC helicopter booms or skids etc but internal/external diameters are limited.

Here is where I get mine from here in the UK.Carbon Fibre Braided Sleeve - Easy Composites

Top Bottom