Carbide to HSS tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scrofts1219

When I got into this wonderful pen turning hobby, I hadn't turned a piece of wood since high school shop class. I now have grandchildren in high school. But a helpful Rockler salesperson showed me a good starter lathe about 6 years ago and recommended I use carbide tools because of the learning curve. It's been a blast. But now as I've upgraded to a bigger lathe and am starting to do larger spindle work, plus platters and bowls, I feel like I'm missing out by not knowing how to use the traditional cutting tools. Especially when I watch the bowl guys doing their magic on YouTube. My questions are: how the heck do I learn how to use the traditional tools? How and where do I start? What tool is easiest for the new learner? I heard the skew can be challenging. I'm not abandoning what I've learned, I just feel like I need to be proficient in both. What advice can you all give me?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Find a local chapter of the AAW. Most have mentors and or hold classes. Might also check to see if Rockler has basic turning class.

Push come to shove grab some scrap wood, watch some videos and go for it.

I learned the basics from videos that came with my Shopsmith back in the 90s.

Good advice above. I started out by taking a class at my local wood supplier. Then LOTS of practice.
Also - as you are probably aware, sharpening is one of the major keys to successful HSS turning. That should be at least part of any class you might take. Well worth the time to be taught by a pro.

leehljp

Member Liaison
With these new tools (HSS) come the need to sharpen. Do a search here for CBN wheels. They are excellent for sharpening and cut down somewhat on the learning curve of sharpening - but are a bit more expensive over normal wheels. The CBN wheels do not heat the normal stone wheels.

Top Bottom