Carbide Tipped Lathe Tool

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Skie_M

Skie_M

This one will be in the mail tomorrow ... figured I may as well get a decent picture of it while it's still nice and shiny.

The real trouble will be if it's STILL nice and shiny a month after it gets there ... This is a TOOL ... don't put it in a glass case and stare at it ... PUT IT TO USE, ERIC! :)

This is actually my 3rd carbide tipped tool handle. My first one I didn't make properly, was made of oak and there was no ferrule or shaft ... it split on me during use.

My second one was practice for this one ... it's made of the mystery wood from the tree in my front yard. The leaves look like chinese elm, but the fruits are tiny little berries rather than what the chinese elm has, so that's not what it is. It's still a pretty hardwood, when it doesn't have all these worm holes through it, which is why this one's staying here with me.

The third one is the winner, for this event ... :)

This year, I decided to donate a carbide tipped tool as a prize for the Turning Challenged event. I wanted it to be a placement prize, at first, but having it as a drawing for those that did not place seems to be a better idea, as there's a greater chance for the tool to go to someone who needs it and would use it, as is the case when StumpyThumbs (Eric) drew the winning number in the random drawing. He hasn't got a very good sharpening solution, so his situation could use an improvement like this one greatly, and I'm thrilled that he'll be able to put it to good use!

So ... a bit about this tool. Handle is solid Mesquite. It's from a branch, and has a good deal of sapwood all around it, but the core is good hard heartwood. It's solid, unlike much of the wormy mesquite I managed to get off the property. The ferrule is a 3/4" copper straight fitting, split in half. The shaft is 12 inches of 1/2" round cold rolled steel... 4 inches of it is buried in the handle. Weight is a good deal forward, where it will be supported by the toolrest.

The screws are a tad bit oversized, in my opinion, but I can't seem to find smaller screws in this area of the size I need for these bits (center hole is 1/4" diameter). The bits were bought in quantity of 10, paid approx $2.70 per bit through Global Tools. 14mm square, .5mm radius corners (these are NOT the radius bits you are used to, they have SHARP square corners). As you can see from the pictures, everything on the blue towel is going to Eric. (minus the sawdust, lol ...)

1 tool handle, with carbide bit and screw (there's a tiny chip on the corner of this bit, it'll wear away with sharpening eventually)
3 spare carbide bits
2 spare screws (left long)
1 holder for carbide bits
1 holder for screws

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• tool1.jpg
    tool1.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 520
  • tool2.jpg
    tool2.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 502
  • tool3.jpg
    tool3.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 506
  • tool4.jpg
    tool4.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 456
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

StumpyThumb

This all arrived today. Again, thanks a ton! I'll be sure to put it to good use! Superb packaging, by the by! There's no way that sucker was coming out during shipping.

Eric

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Skie_M

Heh ... I turned those wooden end caps myself on my lathe, lol ...

Make sure you put the spare bits and parts someplace safe (that you'll find again if you need them!) ... and a lil wax on the steel shaft and copper ferrule will keep them nice and shiny now and then.

D.Oliver

Very nice and you obviously have exquisite taste based on the contest you chose to support!

Skie_M

Lol .... being still somewhat new to penturning myself, and on the low end of the economic scale, I realize that many people who are new to turning don't have thousands of dollars to spend.

I mean, sure ... it would be NICE to play with some of the lathes many of you use, with all the other expensive woodworking tools you have at your disposal in a wood shop that cost over 10,000 dollars to put together (not including the building!) ...

But I don't have that much money. I'm still in the process of "just starting out", but I realized that I can get by on what I'm making as long as I don't overspend or get greedy. I bought all my tools from Harbor Freight, and while that store/brand gets a really bad rap it's because people are pushing these "lower quality" tools to attempt to do what a "higher quality" tool is capable of, and they just won't hold up to that abuse.

Someday, when I have the money ... I want a nice high quality wood shop setup, but I may get there with a few Harbor Freight tools that I've tuned and tweaked over the years. I'll keep recommending them, because the WORST tool for the job is one that was never designed to do that job ... having even a low end tool designed to do the work you give it is a far better thing to do.

Till then, I'll do my best to support "the little guy" who is just starting out and wanting to know .... "How can I get into this hobby affordably?" (I have about 200 dollars or less in disposable income per month to spend on this and other hobbies.)

Top Bottom