Carbide Super Skew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

Anybody use one of these? Any good or just hype?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Seems to be a knock of the T-Shadow Magical Skew that Bob Marquis (Magic Bob) has been successfully marketing for many years now.

qquake

I haven't seen that before. Good looking tool. Ever use one?

Jonkou

Anybody use one of these? Any good or just hype?

"All the benefits of a traditional skew" why not use a traditional skew? "20 times longer than HSS" meaning the edge will stay sharp 20 times longer... when properly honed/sharpened HSS is much sharper (at a microscopic level) than carbide and will leave a far superior surface when properly used. Assume you hone a traditional skew once for each pen, after 80 pens (4 sides of carbide) you need a new carbide, $15. The pictured tools will easily turn thousands of pens and last the rest of my life. Cheaper in the long run but more important, they cut much cleaner on wood or plastics, even antler. Consider putting in the effort to learn how to properly use traditional tools and you will be rewarded with far less time sanding and a more enjoyable turning experience. I'm new to pens but not new to turning and this is my humble opinion. Shown are an M42 HSS 5/8" roughing gouge and 3/4" skew with rolled edges.

032CD9C1-CAD0-4ACB-B625-EFB50BF77C7C.jpeg

TonyL

I use all D-way. Speak to the former owner regularly (Dave Sweitzer sp?). I don't knock anyone else's tools (I own 2 or three of the top and most popular brands and they are very good too.) I use these two (above ) 90% of the time. In fact was, going to buy another roughing gouge from him. His handles are very comfortable tool. I also own his CBN wheels and CBN card. None of them are any good unless sharpened/honed often, but im my experinse, I have to shrpen D Ways less. If you do get his, the quick change knob is nice to have.

keithncsu

I only use the Magical Skew and have loved it. As to the comment about why not use a traditional skew and to learn to use those...that is certainly an option, and there's no issue taken with that suggestion. However, in my case, the reason I returned all of the HSS tools I bought and used that money to purchase the Magical Skew (when I first started out) was strictly due to budget and learning curve. I quickly learned that to use HSS tools I needed a slow speed grinder, a wolverine jig, and CBN wheels. Those were things I could not afford after just purchasing the lathe and related equipment. Not to mention figuring out how to use them without ruining the tool first. In my opinion, there is no time savings as I would be sharpening otherwise.

Also there is certainly an element of purist ideals in these discussions (this isn't the first on this site) that traditional is better and/or should be the only method. Not saying that was the case here, but it certainly creeps into these discussions at times.

Use what you like and go make shavings šŸ˜Ž. It is been a couple of years since I've been able to turn regularly and I certainly miss it!

JimB

Keith, I agree with some of what you said but a couple of your points are not correct. You don't need a slow speed grinder, Wolverine and CBN wheels. Yes, they are a nice set up but you don't need them. When I started I used a $20 6" grey wheel grinder I already owned and built my own wolverine style jig from scrap wood I already had. You also mention learning to use and sharpen them without ruining them first. you won't ruin the tools by learning to use and sharpen them. I still have my original set of tools that I learned both how to use and sharpen.

I own and use both HSS tools of many brands as well as a set of EWT carbide Tools. I know many turners who own both. If I had to choose between HSS and carbide I would choose HSS.

Jonkou

Keith agree with you completely about use what you like and go make shavings. That is what its all about. I meant no disrespect to those that use carbide, have a few myself that I bought to teach my 7yr old granddaughter, she's getting pretty good with them. The learning curve is quick and they are safer than traditional tools. Agree with Jim that you don't need all the fancy tooling to support using a skew or gouge. Any grinder with proper technique will provide a functional edge. Been turning for many years, done countless demos and have taught numerous men women and kids along the way. It's not difficult to learn if you have competent instructors. My point was to put in the effort to learn traditional tools and you will be more efficient in your time at the lathe. I use CBN wheels and M42 HSS because they are the most efficient and I enjoy using the best tools and equipment available. I don't do much production turning any more but that is my background and I'm set in my ways, and it is what I teach.

I'm squeaky new on this site so if out of line giving my point of view please let me know. Qquake, you've been around a long time so this ain't your first go around, You got a few opinions and hope one of them will help you decide.

qquake

I have a homemade handle I made out of 1/2" square steel bar that I use 15mm radius cutters with. I might try holding it at an angle to the tool rest, and see if a shearing cut would work for me. Then I'll decide.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

KenB259

I have a homemade handle I made out of 1/2" square steel bar that I use 15mm radius cutters with. I might try holding it at an angle to the tool rest, and see if a shearing cut would work for me. Then I'll decide.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I always use a shearing cut with mine. It's natural to me now and I get cuts as fine as a regular skew. I shear cut with both round and radius carbide cutters.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom