Carbide Cutter Rotation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings fellow IAP members,

I always have trouble keeping track of what edges of my carbide cutters have been used so that I can rotate them to a new, sharp, edge. I've tried sharpie markers, but it seems to wear off and just doesn't work well for me. I've thought about trying some kind of piece of paper or logbook too, but I really don't like that idea either.

What do you do to keep track of the "used" edges of your carbide cutters?

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Sharpie. Do not have a problem. That side does not get used. I use basically all round cutters so make sort of a line around the edges.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Make sure you are using a sharpie with permanent ink. Also, if your cutters have any type of logo or marking on them (some come with a single dimple in it) get in the habit of mounting them in the same orientation each time you install a cutter. Then, as you rotate it, once the logo or mark gets back to it's original location it's time for a new one.

RGABEL

My wife writes it on a post-it note that is on the tool holder. I thought about making a magnetic square with 1-2-3-4 on it. Start at one and when you rotate the blade, rotate the indicator.

rherrell

I mark the dull side of my metal lathe cabide inserts with BLUE Sharpie. I don't have a problem with it wearing off and I use several different types of coolants/oils.

moke

I have an issue with it wearing off too. I was wondering about the blue stuff used for marking sheet metal with scribes....

howsitwork

perhaps mark UNDERNEATH a the cutter with a marker and rotate one direction each time? say 1/4 turn with a round cutter ? after all , as it's underneath it's not getting abraded ?

bugradx2

I use a sharpie to mark the face of the cutter on the underside sits/attaches to the tool so it can't wear off. It's super simple for me and I never lose track of it that way.

I've generally adopted Mark Dreyer's approach with my circle cutter to how I turn down many of my tubes too so I always rotate the cutters counterclockwise.

bugradx2

perhaps mark UNDERNEATH a the cutter with a marker and rotate one direction each time? say 1/4 turn with a round cutter ? after all , as it's underneath it's not getting abraded ?
was literally writing that at the same time as you and saw this after I hit submit

Darios

I use a trick I picked up from mg_dreyer - I put painters tape on the handle and mark the tape each time I rotate a side and always rotate in the same direction.

Edit - just noticed bugradx2's post saying the same thing. :)

Last edited:

egnald

I have an issue with it wearing off too. I was wondering about the blue stuff used for marking sheet metal with scribes....
Blue Dykem. I thought about trying that too, but since I retired I don't have ready access without buying some of course. I'm guessing it is similar to permanent marker. - Dave

Hippie3180

All great ideas. I think some of the square carbides are numbered on each of the four sides, so if you turned it consistently in one direction that might work. The rounds are an issue. I like the blue tape on the handle with a mask idea.

bugradx2

I use a trick I picked up from mg_dreyer - I put painters tape on the handle and mark the tape each time I rotate a side and always rotate in the same direction.

Edit - just noticed bugradx2's post saying the same thing. :)
Kinda the same thing. I'm not smart enough to do the simple solution with painters tape like Mark. Well, that and the bench I use has dog holes in it that I use for tool storage while turning. With my luck I'd rub off the tape somehow. Marking the bottom of carbide has worked pretty well for me thus far.

Woodchipper

egnald, would someone at your old workplace get a small jar of Dykem? Used to see it bought by the gallons at one place I worked. Hundreds of sheet metal templates.

KMCloonan

My method is a little more casual. If I sense my round carbide is losing its edge, I loosen it and turn it counterclockwise about 1/8 of a turn and retighten. I continue to do this until the carbide doesn't seem to cut well, and then I replace it. If it's a non-negative rake, I sharpen using some diamond sharpening cards. If it is a negative rake, I end up tossing it.

Top Bottom