Caragana ........

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rd_ab_penman

Small boxes I turned a while back.
Caragana can have some great looking coloring.
Finished with tungoil.
Les

Attachments

• #1 - Cargana Box.JPG
    #1 - Cargana Box.JPG
    425.7 KB · Views: 113
  • #2 - Caragana Boxes.JPG
    #2 - Caragana Boxes.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 116
  • #3 - Caragana Boxes.JPG
    #3 - Caragana Boxes.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 116
  • #4 - Caragana Box.JPG
    #4 - Caragana Box.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 118
  • #5 - Caragana Box.JPG
    #5 - Caragana Box.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Caragana 1.JPG
    Caragana 1.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 115
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

I had never heard of Caragana. It looks a lot like Laburnum anagyroides. Sorry i do not know the normal name of that tree in english.
Common laburnum or golden chain tree are the common English names . Caragana arborescens , or Siberian peashrub , is also in the Fabaceae family , but a different genus . Softer wood , but those colours and their apparent random patterning are very typical . By far , my favourite turning wood .

mdburn_em

Very neat looking wood. I will have to look it up and see where it grows.
I grew up in Northern Montana. It's very dry there and gets very, very cold. The settlers needed something that could provide a wind break around the homesteads. Almost every house of there ha at least one row of caraganas as a wind row. It's my understanding that they needed something that could withstand 35 below 0 (F) AND survive in near desert conditions. Enter siberian pea shrub. They brought it over from Siberia. This was a story passed down from my dad. I do know that the government provided caragana and ash saplings for us to plant as wind rows in our grain fields. The idea was to try and make a wind break that would catch snow so it wouldn't blow into North Dakota. Trying to do anything possible to retain moisture in the fields for the crops.
I've never seen anything bigger than 6" diameter. It is a shrub.

Top Bottom