Captive diamonds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Baseball fever or a girl's best friend, this is a first effort at segmentation. With a base of cocobolo, the cocobolo diamonds are captured by the aspen.

200542633347_CaptiveDiamonds.jpg

200542633515_CaptiveDiamondsViewB.jpg

Comments and critiques are welcomed. As always, thank you for looking. [8D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thank you all for your generous comments! Jim--I got so turned around with this pen that even I'm not sure [:D], but I don't think there's any end grain...just a lot of itty-bitty pieces that came from some extras I got from Bill in Idaho.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks, again, folks. At this time of year my fancy actually turns to baseball but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to have one of those female creatures to warm the seat next to me. [:D] Mudder, there were a number of days involved, but the actual time was just a couple of hours. There were 5 separate steps in the glueing to create the diamond as opposed to just a square on its side.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by btboone
<br />Great Job Lou. From the title, I thought you were getting into jewelry. [:D]
If you can move into pens, maybe I should try the jewelry route! [:p] Not with diamonds--although I do have about 80 small garnets from my last visit to Prague that might brighten up a few pens. [8D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Lou,

Having attempted that design (very unsuccessfully), I can only say WOW. Nice job.

I may try again when I have several hours with nothing to do!

Fleabit

I can only say WOW since that is WAY over my head! Any hints on the steps? I think I have most of them figured out but a couple are still eluding me (which means they are the easiest steps)!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Ok, this is from memory...and remember that I told you I had some failures. There are two key elements. The first is that I used 60-degree angles to form a diamond. 90-degree angles form a square. The second key element is that the width of the diamonds needs to be kept at 1/4 inch. By using 1/4 inch, the entire diamond is viewed as though it is on a single plane (i.e. it does not wrap).

When I do this again, I'll use a table saw instead of a bandsaw. I have way too much play in the angles and alignment from using a bandsaw.

woodscavenger

I think that is awesome. Is the inlay on both sides? My only criticism would be that I would prefer that the clip not cover the upper inlay. I would have rotated the clip 90 degrees. Otherwise really cool.

JimGo

I came back and looked at it again; I agree with Sam and Shane. Also, Lou, what's the line that runs circumferentially just below the end of the clip?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks, Shane and Sam. I tried the clip at the other 90 and didn't like it at all...to each his own! [:D] I'm glad you found the "easy" steps, Rick. Now can you tell me? [:D] And Jim--it's coming and it's a secret! [}:)]

MDWine

That's a really beautiful pen, Sensei... really beautiful!!
It makes me want to work harder, but I need to work SMARTER!!
I really want to do the fancy work, but I need to concentrate on just making a good pen with a good finish... fancy will have to wait... I can't be a "Lou" overnight, darn it!!! [;)]

You keep kickin' it up a notch! That cookin' guy has NOTHING on you! BAM!!![:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom