Canister vs bag filtration

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcook4570

I will be purchasing a dust collector soon. I will be purchasing a system that filters to 1 micron, but are the canisters worth the extra expense (as compared to a 2 bag system with the same filtering capacity)?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Stan,

It all boils down to your willingness to pay the extra $$$$$.

The canister is nice but it is almost if not more expensive than the DC itself. For me I think that is just crazy. [:0]

If you look hard, there are cheap replacement bags. I got mine from Grizzly and very happy with it. There are also places that make custom sized bags to increase the surface area which affects your CFM.

On mine I replaced the lower bag with plain contractor trash bags...basically reducing the CFM output. I did it because I mill a lot of green wood and the moisture practically ate the lower bag and tore easily in less than one year...good thing I changed it when I did...else I would have a big mess. Disposable bags also make for much easier clean up...just tie it and you're done!

Good luck with your decision.

Rudy Vey

I replaced the lower bag with HeavyDuty plastic bags and had a custom upper bag made. The company is American Filterfabric and they do lots of such work. I just gave them my DC model with the sizes of the rims, my room height and they made me a 1 micron bag which is about 3-4 times the size of the standard bag. Bag enlargement has quite a positve influence on your cfm.

I paid about $80 for the custom bag plus 10 of the HD plasticbags, but this is some 4-5 years ago.

beamer

I have the Wynn filter on my Jet 1100 and I would defy anyone to proove it was a waste of money. Yes, i twas a 130 dollar upgrade for a 250 dollar DC, but the airflow easily doubled, if not more. The filtration level is MUCH better than the bags it came with. When comparing bags to canisters, look at surface area of the filter material. My cartridge is about 4 times the surface area as a single bag. That would mean i'd need 4 bags of a similar micron level to get comparable airflow.

The other problem with bags is they're rated to filter the fine dust AFTER they've already been pumping through quite a bit already. They have to build up a layer of fine dust on them before they really eliminate the 5 or 1 micron levels they claim. The specs on the bags tend to be a little marketing hooey, i've found.

Bill Pentz is considered an expert on this subject as he's invested quite a bit of his own energy/money/lungs into finding the best solution. His website (in regards to dust collection) is here:

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

It's really a lot to read and can be a little bit alarmist for some. But i suppose i'd see his point of view better if i had to go through what he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom