Canadian mini-lathe Deal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bradh

Was in my local Canadian Tire store here in Aurora, Ontario and I could not believe my eyes. Canadaian Tire was clearing out a mini-lathe: $70 for a small variable speed lathe with a 3/4" x 16, MT#1 headstock. The sign had the red clearance sticker, so I guess they are discontinuing these items.
I have not opened mine yet, but I got one. Might be a Canada wide thing, I don't know, but I could not turn the deal down.
Brad

PS: No affliation to CTC, just though other Canucks also might like a cheap second lathe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Could you post a picture of it?
It might be interesting to see if it is similar to anter one that we "down here" may know of.

jaywood1207

It's the same as the PSI Turncrafter Plus with CTC's own name on it. I have one and have used it fairly regularly over the last couple years but am ready to upgrade. I will keep it as a back up or for buffing or let the kids play around on it.

bradh

Jamie, what do you think of the lathe then?
I still have not had a chance to open it up, had a weekend full of Christmas get togethers. I am hoping to pull open the box tonight.
I would still be interested in hearing what you think of this lathe.
Thanks,
Brad

bradh

Sorry it took so long, here is the picture of the lathe.
Brad

20061214201952_new-lathe3-rs.jpg
<br />

jaywood1207

Sorry Brad I missed your post a few days ago. It has done me well over the last couple years. It is not a Jet or Delta or any of the other higher end minis but for the price you can't go wrong. It is a great starter and I love the variable speed which I probably won't have on my next one so will miss that. I have tried some larger things up to about 8" round and it will handle them but you have to be gentle with it. The only problem I have had is about a month ago when the belt gave out on me. I haven't replaced it yet because I have to order it but in the mean time I bought a large o ring and it's been working fine as long as you aren't too aggressive. Hope this helps.

arioux

Yep, that's mine. Regular price $149.99, paid $99. in special sale a little more than 2 years ago. Been using it almost everyday since then. This lathe is sold under various name including one of the PSI model. Great for small items but don,t get to exited about turning too big piece (bowl), the motor don't have that much "torque"(SP?)and if you catch too often, the safety will stop it for few seconds. But for the rest, turn really thru and smooth and i really enjoy it for pen and small object. And the variable speed (no belt) is a great feature.

Must be a local sale because it was still $149.99 one hour ago here in Montreal. Lucky you!! if it drop to that price here, i'll get a second one for sure.

Alfred

armyturner

I have one of these as well. Mine was sold as a Wilton from Amazon. I paid $99 w/free shipping. I haven't had the chance to use it much but I like it so far. The head and tailstock lined up perfectle when I assembled it. The varible speed is very handy but it is a little under powered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom