Can you see the join?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oakham

Hi alll,
I'm really interested in trying my hand at making the japanese paper blanks as they always look so good. My concern though is how does the join look? I see photos of these pens on here, and the pens look stunning, but I'm always thinking " what does the other side look like? "
Can someone help me out with maybe a shot of the join up side?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Janster

..not so much.....

.......... "most " of the Japanese papers are so busy that the seam gets engulfed in the inherent design. Not much is parallel so it is quite difficult to see the seam. The colors and lines overlap and the human eye does not have a real "focal point" to grasp as it takes in so much info all at once. I know where the seam is and have to look diligently to see it.I shot these pics on Macro with a hand held Sony, tried to shoot them all from the same distance,all sides are covered. Some patterns cover better than others. Go for it and make some, they're fun! Good luck and be well.....Jan

Attachments

• DSC02207.JPG
    DSC02207.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 347
  • DSC02208.JPG
    DSC02208.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 301
  • DSC02209.JPG
    DSC02209.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC02210.JPG
    DSC02210.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:

ttm7

DSC02208.JPG black patches; the question is how do i hide these lines.?
maybe spiral cut paper. over lap seems then cut down center of seem remove waste, make sure seem seem is smooth and fully glued down. some thoughts.
straight lines show faster than the spiral would.

Last edited:

Janster

...That is as hidden as it gets. There will always be a seam, they just aren't so obvious unless you really scrutinize the pens closely! Be well...Jan

Marko50

Hi alll,
I'm really interested in trying my hand at making the japanese paper blanks as they always look so good. My concern though is how does the join look? I see photos of these pens on here, and the pens look stunning, but I'm always thinking " what does the other side look like? "
Can someone help me out with maybe a shot of the join up side?

Never, not ever, use a straight line seam…on anything. Just my .02¢

Here's a pic of the "other side". You're looking right at the seam at this angle. Find it and you win!:wink:

Attachments

• DSC_1263.jpg
    DSC_1263.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 280

oakham

So, I received my first batch of paper through today, and a big batch of pen kits yesterday. Now to get casting!!:biggrin:

Top Bottom