Can This Be Stabilized?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

I was given several pieces of spalted maple. However, it has several spots that are punky, not all of them are visible before you start turning. The wood is solid, except for these spots. They either chip out during turning, or they are too soft to be stable so they fall out. I have previously tried CA glue, that doesn't really work. I am attempting to save a blank right now with wood shavings and epoxy. I'm wondering if these blanks could be stabilized. Since the wood is mostly solid, I'm not sure the stabilization would reach the punky spots. If so can someone here do it, and how much would it cost? I am not set up to do this, so would have to ship them to someone.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
This type of wood is perfect for stabilizing.

Send us a PM and let us know how many blanks you have. We'll get an estimate to you. Doesn't sound like it should cost much if it's just a few blanks.

1080Wayne

Thin CA usually works very well on small punky areas if you catch them before they chip out . With that type of blank it is best to take thin cuts and stop frequently to inspect for areas needing CA .

sbwertz

If you flood the punky area with thin ca, it will soak in and actually make the wood smoke. You may have to do it several times as you turn the piece down.

robutacion

If you flood the punky area with thin ca, it will soak in and actually make the wood smoke. You may have to do it several times as you turn the piece down.
Yes it does Sharon, just make sure you and everyone else don't breath those fumes, they extremely toxic/nasty...!

I'm sure someone here close to the OP will be able to stabilise a few blanks, in cases like these, some pics of the wood does help us give the right advice.

Good luck,

Cheers
George

Gary Beasley

Ive actually done this with pieces thats fell apart they were so rotten. Wound up looking excellent. I called it my zombie pen because it came back from death.

sbwertz

Good point, George! The fumes really are noxious. They make your eyes burn even if you don't breathe it. At home I have both a dust collector on the lathe and an AC unit right next to my lathe and it blows fumes away, and at the center I have two fans between the lathes to blow fumes away. At the center we use odorless CA, but it only comes in medium, so we still have to deal with fumes from the thin.

Top Bottom