Cambridge with "Sidegrain" Knotty Olivewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jrista

jrista

Been making a bunch of sierra-style (sierra, wall street, aero, tapa pacifica, and others) for a client. Needed a change of pace. Started this pen weeks ago, and finally managed to finish it. Finally finished drying the finish today, which came out nice and shiny (not really evident here, I need to figure out my lighting situation better, but the Pens Plus finish is like glass!) and assembled:

Cambridge Rhodium and Gold with Knotty Olivewood-1.jpg

Cambridge Rhodium and Gold with Knotty Olivewood-2.jpg

The blank was my first "sidegrain" (I guess you would call it, its like a bowl blank where you cut through alternating end grain and sidegrain) pen blank with knots in it. There were a couple of evident cracks at the surface, and I filled them with some black CA. As I turned, however, more and more kept showing up. I kept filling with CA, sanding, filling with CA, until I very slightly started to undercut the bushing. Decided to just call it quits on the CA fill at that point, and finished with Pens Plus. Probably around 8-10 coats, on top of an initial saturating layer of plain old Doctor's walnut oil. The pens plus mostly filled in the remaining voids from the cracks... I really love the blank, looks amazing otherwise, but it is a lot of work!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TDahl

Very nice Jon. I like what you did with the cracks. I think it adds a unique character to the blank while keeping a natural look. Thanks for sharing

jrista

Very nice Jon. I like what you did with the cracks. I think it adds a unique character to the blank while keeping a natural look. Thanks for sharing
Thanks! I pondered what to use...I very seriously considered using some turquoise mica powder with clear CA. I think, for this first try, using the black CA was the better option, given how the cracks became more numerous the deeper I turned. That said, I think the turquoise will actually look better in the end, and intend to give it a try on my next one. ;)

Great work! That's a very fine pen.
Thanks, Gary!

That's a beauty.
Thanks, Jim!

Great looking pen, awesome blank.
Aye, truly beautiful blank. Bought a few of them off of someone here on IAP. Love the "sidegrain" with the heartwood through it...so much character!

Extremely nice. Great work.
Thank you, Vic!

jrista

Grabbed a couple more photos, to try and show off the shininess of the finish better (still kind of subtle, but it shines like glass, even though its Pens Plus rather than CA). Also showing the knots in the cap here:

Cambridge Rhodium and Gold with Knotty Olivewood-3.jpg

Cambridge Rhodium and Gold with Knotty Olivewood-4.jpg

jrista

Found out I was shooting at too high of an ISO before, so the quality of the images was poor. I reset to ISO100, and these should be much better photos. Larger as well, to show off the wood grain details, which close up is really incredible! Love this wood!

(Click to enlarge if necessary!)

Cambridge Rhodium and Gold with Knotty Olivewood-5.jpg

Cambridge Rhodium and Gold with Knotty Olivewood-6.jpg

Top Bottom