Cambridge RB in buckeye burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

After my mishap today where the wrong barrel jumped onto my lathe and made me cut a tenon into it, I made this for myself to ease the pain. Cambridge Hybrid rollerball, silver w/ti gold accents dressed up in a nice buckeye burl rubbed with danish oil and a CA finish. I chose the burl not only because I'm originally from Ohio but I happen to love the stuff. It's far from perfect but will suit me nicely as a daily carry pen. I'll admit there are other pens in this price range I prefer, and this one has a bit too high of a bling factor for my taste, but I've had this and two FP kits in my shop for over a year now, it was time to put one of them to work. It's only the third pen I've made in the last 4 or 5 months, but the heat is finally starting to let up so I'm getting more shop time in. Sorry for the subpar pics, I used my ipad. Feel free to critique and tell me what I can do better.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That turned out beautiful Jay!

The colors of the blank are a perfect match with the gold accents on the kit.

I have one of these Cambridge, and while it is a quality kit, it is just a bit too large and heavy for my taste.

When I first started turning pens Rockler had a sale on Natural stabilized Buckeye Blanks, and I bought 50. Only have a few left, but there are a wonderful wood to use.

Your finish looks excellent, which will give you fits for your photo lighting.

Thank you for sharing.

I'm with you on the bling, but that is a damn nice looking pen!

Thank you sir! The look is a bit over the top IMO, but my coworkers love it.

Gotta love buckeye burl! I'm going to reserve my opinion about the pen until after you take a decent picture of it! ;0)

CLOWN! ;) And yes, I do love a nice piece of buckeye burl.

That turned out beautiful Jay!

The colors of the blank are a perfect match with the gold accents on the kit.

I have one of these Cambridge, and while it is a quality kit, it is just a bit too large and heavy for my taste.

When I first started turning pens Rockler had a sale on Natural stabilized Buckeye Blanks, and I bought 50. Only have a few left, but there are a wonderful wood to use.

Your finish looks excellent, which will give you fits for your photo lighting.

Thank you for sharing.

Thanks Mark! I agree on the weight, it's a bit much for me too. I'm envious of your haul on the blanks. The local Rockler hasn't had any for the last couple months, except for the same 2 blanks where very large voids make them worthless except for casting as a hybrid. They were out of them online last time I checked too - but I prefer to buy a piece I can inspect instead of taking my chances anyway. This was my last piece, I've had it for about a year. The finish was several coats of thin followed by flexible since my other 2 bottles of medium dried out. It was the first time I've used flexible and it went on very nicely.

Last edited:
Top Bottom