Calling Myself

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Anyone ever get calls from your own phone number to the same number?? Started getting them today and when I first got one and heard my name (have one of those phones that announces who is calling or at least they try to) I had an eerie feeling come over me because it also was my Dad's name and he has been resting in Peace for 13 years now. Very strange. What gives??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Lately we have been getting robo calls imitating major corporations and company names in the ID. I answered one because I did some business with a local office of the big corporation, but it was a spam robocall. I figured this will be their downfall when major companies realize their name is being spoofed.

penicillin

Sorry Hank, but big corporations can't and won't stop it.

The only ones with the power to stop it are the government through regulations that would incentivize the telecom providers, and the telecom providers themselves, who have sufficient information to develop the necessary tools to stop it, but little incentive to do it. Somehow the money dynamics favor the status quo, but I am not sure how. It may be as simple as the low return on investment (ROI) for developing the necessary tools.

We are seeing slow movement towards improvement, but I am not impressed with recent multi-tier announcements, where telecoms will offer a useless free service and a useful paid service that becomes a profit center. In effect, it is extortion.

randyrls

Lately we have been getting robo calls imitating major corporations and company names in the ID. I answered one because I did some business with a local office of the big corporation, but it was a spam robocall. I figured this will be their downfall when major companies realize their name is being spoofed.

Lee; I would contact the company and impress on them that their name is being used and it damages their company name and products.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Sorry Hank, but big corporations can't and won't stop it.

The only ones with the power to stop it are the government through regulations that would incentivize the telecom providers, and the telecom providers themselves, who have sufficient information to develop the necessary tools to stop it, but little incentive to do it. Somehow the money dynamics favor the status quo, but I am not sure how. It may be as simple as the low return on investment (ROI) for developing the necessary tools.

We are seeing slow movement towards improvement, but I am not impressed with recent multi-tier announcements, where telecoms will offer a useless free service and a useful paid service that becomes a profit center. In effect, it is extortion.

I didn't explain the point, but when we as individuals complain to our phone company or our representatives or government, it is usually is a glacially slow reaction from them; but when major companies discover "their" identity is being spoofed, the phone companies and or representatives or government will much more likely listen and bring the problem from the bottom of the pile to close to the top.

sbwertz

That's the latest phone scam scheme. Also spoofing a phone number with your same local code (first three digits).

jttheclockman

It started again today. How do they spoof?? The only thing I did new in the last 3 weeks is change my internet system which includes a tv and phone package. Went from Verizon DSL to Verizon Fios (fiber optic). which is a triple play package. Do you think this had something to do with it. Will this stop?? I do not use the house phone much at all and all calls go through an answering machine so I just do not pick up any more. Now I did redo the message and included my name which I probably should not have done. Maybe this is how they got the full name. Can not figure it out.

MPVic

It started again today. How do they spoof?? The only thing I did new in the last 3 weeks is change my internet system which includes a tv and phone package. Went from Verizon DSL to Verizon Fios (fiber optic). which is a triple play package. Do you think this had something to do with it. Will this stop?? I do not use the house phone much at all and all calls go through an answering machine so I just do not pick up any more. Now I did redo the message and included my name which I probably should not have done. Maybe this is how they got the full name. Can not figure it out.
Yes, posting your name John gives these scammers a wealth of information about you - you would be sick to know just how much info they can find out about you by just surfing the internet. But take heart, you are not alone.

pshrynk

What probably happened was that you got an obvious robo call and clicked on don't answer. Spoofers dial random numbers and if someone answers they don't say anything and you hang up. Your number is then marked down as active and they don't use it. If you don't, then It is marked as an inactive and other people start getting calls from you wanting to sell them extended warrantees or reduce their student loan rates. Your friendly neighborhood telemarketer just called you back with your number spoofed. Their software is relatively unsophisticated and cannot screen out those situations.

Woodchipper

We get repeated calls from telemarketers with robocalls. Had some call three times in one day. Phone service says we can block them but don't have enough memory to enter more than 48 numbers for known numbers and but can have unlimited block for private/unknown numbers. We just erase the message which most of the time is nothing and delete the called number. Heard the best way is to answer the call and wait for the CSR. Then give the phone to a three year old.

sbwertz

We get repeated calls from telemarketers with robocalls. Had some call three times in one day. Phone service says we can block them but don't have enough memory to enter more than 48 numbers for known numbers and but can have unlimited block for private/unknown numbers. We just erase the message which most of the time is nothing and delete the called number. Heard the best way is to answer the call and wait for the CSR. Then give the phone to a three year old.
The panasonic cordless phones can block 300 numbers

Top Bottom