Calendar is ready to play with

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
They calendar is ready to play with for those who want to familiarize themselves with it. In order to create an entry, you have to be registered per the previous thread and then I have to change your user level. I have set up two different user levels as described below:

Author: You will be able to create entries, edit your own entries, and delete your own entries. You can not do anything to entries created by someone else.

Editor: You will be able to to all of the above plus edit and unpublish other users entries. You can not delete others entries but unpublishing makes them disappear so it is basically the same thing but preserves the entry for future editing.

To keep things tidy and prevent accidental editing of someone's entry, I plan to make everyone except Mike Broberg and author. Mike will be an editor since he is in charge of the bash. If anyone else sees a need to be an editor, just let me know and I will change your status. Of course I and Jeff will still have full access to everything.

To create an entry:

• Login with the username and password you created
  • click on the small calendar on the left hand side. If you do not see it, click on the home button.
  • A larger calendar will load and you can use the buttons at the top to choose month, week, etc. views.
  • Hover your mouse over the day you want to create an entry for and you will see a + in a circle in the upper right hand corner of that day's box. Click it
Under the Common Tab
  • Type a subject such as "XYZ Contest Begins"
  • Choose a category. If you see a need for additional categories, please let me know.
  • Leave access level as public
  • Choose the state of your event. Published will show on the calendar, unpublished will not but you will still see it
  • Type anything in the description you want. This will show up when someone actually clicks on the entry from the calendar
  • Under location, it would be handy to past the link to the contest thread you are posting about.
  • Under contact, you could put "MesquiteMan on IAP" or your e-mail address or leave it blank.
  • Extra info...I don't see any need for this
Now click on the calendar tab

• I think to keep the calendar clean, it would be best to do an entry for the beginning of the contest, one for the end, and one for any pertinent date in between.
  • Make sure the date is correct.
  • Set the start time
  • Make sure the end date is the same as the start date
  • Select "no specific end time"
  • Under repeat type make sure "no repeat is selected"
  • Click save in the upper right corner.
To edit your entry

• Find it on the calendar and click on it
  • This will bring up the details page
  • Click on the little pencil and paper looking icon on the upper right
  • Choose what you want to do from the drop down box
That should do it. If you have any questions or need any help, please let me know.

Go ahead and play around with creating entries to get a feel for it. If your entry is obviously not real an only a test, I will automatically delete it in a few weeks. If it looks real, I will leave it alone.

If you think of something that needs to be changed, please let me know.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Everything seemed to go well for my practice entry.

I added a weblink to the 2013 bash in my entry just to see how it worked. It did just fine, but is there a way to have it to where it opens in a new window or tab when clicked instead of changing the current page?

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Everything seemed to go well for my practice entry.

I added a weblink to the 2013 bash in my entry just to see how it worked. It did just fine, but is there a way to have it to where it opens in a new window or tab when clicked instead of changing the current page?

I have looked and there is no provision in the component to set this. Of course all one has to do is click the back button and they are back to the previous page. Also, just hovering over the even will show the details. Good suggestion but no available. Sorry!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Just some more thoughts on the calendar...

Don't forget to only put a start time and then click "no specific end time" on the end time.

Also, you can place picture in your description if you want to snazz up your entry. If this interest anyone, I would be happy to do a screen video of how to do it.

Top Bottom