cabochon?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
I just learned yesterday what this word actually means. It is a reference to the cut, or finish. A cabochon(sp) is a "gem" or whatever that is smooth instead of faceted.

Anyway... just thought i would share!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
I may have misspelled it. I have an Arkansas High school Diploma!

Cabuchon maybe? Something like that. I have seen it on several sites. Ariz. Sil I think uses it. I actually learned the proper meaning watching Antique road show. A lady was having a bracelet appraised. The HUGE Sapphire was cabuchon cut.

bitshird

I may have misspelled it. I have an Arkansas High school Diploma!

Cabuchon maybe? Something like that. I have seen it on several sites. Ariz. Sil I think uses it. I actually learned the proper meaning watching Antique road show. A lady was having a bracelet appraised. The HUGE Sapphire was cabuchon cut.

You had it right the first time, Cabochon or Cabachon
A cabochon or cabachon, from the Middle French caboche (head), is a gemstone which has been shaped and polished as opposed to faceted. The resulting form is usually a convex top with a flat bottom.

UKpenmaker

Lots of uses for them, but i tend to make them for my Bottle-stoppers.
Stopper020.jpg

btboone

The shape looks like a hot blob of glass that falls and hits a flat surface. They are a bit trickier to hang onto since they don't have defined girdles.

Druid

I was a rockhound prior to turning pens and still enjoy lapidary as a hobby. Cabachons or "cabs" as they are commonly referred are a lot of fun to make whether you use precious stones or out of some quartz or rock found on a trip or in your yard. Moonstones and amber make some very increadible cabs.

Top Bottom