Caballero tips or tricks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cseymour

Hello Ed and Dawn,
I really enjoy making the Caballero and Black Tac kits.
Do you have any tips,advice or suggestions on getting the grain in the wood to line up?

I try but always the grains in the cap and body are off a bit.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

Assemble the cap as per the instruction sheet. Prior to assembling the bottom, take the nib assembly and screw it into the cap. Now, take the bottom/barrel and place it onto the nib section and move it around until the grain aligns. Gently press the bottom onto the nib section with only hand force. Carefully unscrew the nib from the cap and place the bottom section into the press and finish the assembly. The grain should now line up properly.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Assemble the cap as per the instruction sheet. Prior to assembling the bottom, take the nib assembly and screw it into the cap. Now, take the bottom/barrel and place it onto the nib section and move it around until the grain aligns. Gently press the bottom onto the nib section with only hand force. Carefully unscrew the nib from the cap and place the bottom section into the press and finish the assembly. The grain should now line up properly.
This is almost exactly the same process that I use for this for any of the capped pens ... not only the ones asked here, but the JR series as well.

cseymour

Thank you all,
I have been trying this -- but still not matching -- must be my technique -- will keep practicing.

Thank you

Chris

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Don't forget these are triple start threads. The grain will only line up on one set of threads. If you did like suggested and the grain does not match up, carefully unscrew the cap and feel for the next set of threads and try again. If it still does not match, repeat a third time.

cseymour

Thank you Monty,
That was the ticket.
I took 2 pens I thought I had "mis-aligned" and tried as you suggested and both aligned nicely.

Thank you again for that insight.

It is greatly appreciated

Cheers

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

greenacres2

I had a feeling that triple start was the answer--glad your grain alignments were good Chris.

Now...the novice question--why are triple start threads used to begin with?? I just took it as fact until a few months ago when i noticed that my roll-on antiperspirant bottle seems to have single start threads. With a lot of blanks, it's tough enough to tell if the orientation is correct (in which case no one else may be able to tell anyway), but then trying to teach someone to start threading 1/3 before the match so that the 11/3 rotation lines things up just seems like adding a complexity to the sale or gift of the pen.

Just got more inquisitive after noticing the deodorant bottle!!
earl

cseymour

I also noticed last night on the EB site they hall a kit called Manager Rollerball and Fountain pen.
A reviewer stated
"For the price this fountain pen is unbeatable. It comes with a nice German nib which writes very well. The screw has only one start thread and it takes several revolutions to seat and it's not postable. However, because it has only one start thread, it always lines up."
So it seems some caps are single threaded.

randyrls

Chris; I've never made this particular model, but a general rule. Assemble the nib first. Then screw the cap centerband onto the nib end. Now align the grain cap blank up and carefully hand press it on. Gently unscrew and finish pressing the cap center band on the cap then press the finial and clip on.

alphageek

Former Moderator
I also noticed last night on the EB site they hall a kit called Manager Rollerball and Fountain pen.
A reviewer stated
"For the price this fountain pen is unbeatable. It comes with a nice German nib which writes very well. The screw has only one start thread and it takes several revolutions to seat and it's not postable. However, because it has only one start thread, it always lines up."
There is single, triple and quad threaded... (that I've found so far!)

greenacres2

A reviewer stated

Thanks--great to know. I've been meaning to try the Manager, I've seen favorable comments...especially at the price point.
earl

cseymour

The only concern I have around the Manager is it is not postable.
I know many of the folks I have given my pens to like the ability to have the cap on the pen when they are writing.
But I agree, at that price point they are definitely worth a try.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Chris

Top Bottom