CA Snake Bit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gabericks

Okay I've been turning and finishing nice pens (I am told) for 4 years now. I love doing a nice CA finish. So nice to put a glass finish around meaningful material. For the past few months every pen that I try to finish with CA has small specs, about the size of three grains of salt, in the finish. It's so bad that I've resorted to finishing pens with friction polish (no offense to the friction polish brigade). I switched from thick to medium to thin CA and a new bottle of activator in - all Stick Fast. I know it's not the brand because I've produced flawless pens with it.
Does anybody have any idea about what could be causing this?
As usual, thank you so much for your feedback

Kenny Durrant

The accelerator may be causing it. If you spray it too close or too much it will bubble. Humidity or moisture in the air might be an issue. If you research the way accelerator is made some brands make it with different chemicals that greatly reduce the bubbles/foaming.

Todd in PA

Also pieces of the applicator could cause it if you're using paper towels. I use craft foam. I also use Gluboost because it doesn't bubble when accelerator is sprayed.

Top Bottom