ca issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alucas

I accidentally squished out ca onto an alumilight (sp) label cast blank and dindmt see it untill it was completly dry. Is there anything that will help me remove it without damaging the blank or the finish of the pen.
20211203_130909.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hmmmm . . . . this should be interesting !!!

Got my ears and eyes wide open !!

There are so many possible factors involved.

Acetone will soften CA in minutes . . . but I don't know what it does to Alumilite. . . Might be possible to do a test on a scrap of Alumilite.
And because the Alumilite has an internal label, the acetone could wick itself in via the label (if the label goes to the end of the barrel).
If it does that, it would almost certainly discolor (at least) or destroy the label even if the Alumilite is not directly affected.

TonyL

possibly low-speed sanding with a high grit Dremel drum? Start with some very high grit, like 600 on low speed.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I seriously doubt that anything short of removing the blank from the pen and starting over will hide or obscure of erase the mistake. You can try and you may get lucky, but the odds are against it. Once colors have been changed, or CA taken off or down to the wood, those spots will still show to the trained eye.

randyrls

Andrew; I don't have an answer to fix, but maybe can prevent it from happening again. If you have to use CA to glue in a fitting, put a *SMALL* drop of CA on the inside of the tube and insert the fitting in a twisting motion. Any "squish out" will be on the inside of the brass tube and out of sight.

Hope this helps.....

Bstrauch

This might be a long shot, but Acetone does dissolve cured CA, but I have no idea what it would do to the Alumilite. As a test, you might just try applying some acetone on a scrape piece of Alumilite with a cloth and see what happens.

howsitwork

I think your best bet , after testing on a scrap of aluminite , is to wrap tissue around the offending area and dampen it with acetone. The CA will then soften and turn to a sort of toffee consistency and can be scraped off . Suggest using fingernail,to do the scraping as that should not damage your finish. Cotton wool buds soaked in acetone should remove smears

If you dip it in acetone directly you run the risk of " wicking" and further damage.

Top Bottom