CA in Humid Areas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonF

I have been trying to get a CA finish down for several weeks without much luck. I watched Russ's video and read everything I could on this site about it. The problem I was having was that the glue would harden and leave ridges and not smooth out. I tried thin CA, Medium CA, no BLO, a little bit of BLO, some BLO and a lot of BLO. Bounty, Viva, store brand paper towels, even wax paper and plastic baggies didn't work. I ended up applying 5-7 coats and sanded most of it off just to even it out. Took more time than I wanted to spend on a "quick" finish.

Well I visited my family in Wichita Falls for Thanksgiving and got to spend a day with Don Ward. First question I asked him was about a CA finish. Don went through the steps he wrote about on his tutorial. I didn't tell him that I had already tried it and it hadn't worked for me. We went to the lathe and he talked me through the steps and it worked! (also worked on the 5 other pens I made while I was up there) I told Don the troubles I had been having and humidity seems to be the difference. Wichita Falls, Tx is hot with low humidity. Orange, Tx, where I live, Is on the Gulf and humidity stays around 90% most of the year. Don gave me some suggestions to try when I got back home.

At home I tried the same steps on the same wood I had success with in WF, and had basically the same results I had before my time with Don. I used some of Don's suggestions, played with it a bit and here is what works for me.

1. Finish one pen barrel at a time.
2. Start with 2 drops of BLO on a folded Bounty paper towel and apply with lathe running on slow.
3. Using the same spot on the paper towel hold it under the spinning blank and apply LIGHT pressure to the blank. At the same time apply drops of thin CA while moving from one end of the tube to the other. Total drops-about 3-4 on a thin Slimline, about 6-8 on the long barrel of a Cigar.
4. Once I get to the end of the barrel QUICKLY put the bottle down and at the same time move the paper towl back a forth rapidly.
WARNING-THIN CA WILL SOAK THROUGH THE PAPER TOWEL TO YOUR FINGERS AND NOT ONLY STICK, BUT ALSO BURN!!!
As soon as the bottle is down I grab one end of the paper towel allowing the other hand (the one with the finger that is about to be stuck and blistered) to let go and grab farther down the paper towel.
5. Keep moving back and forth. The paper towel will feel like it is starting to stick to the blank and after a few more moments it starts to get smooth again. Keep going back and forth for about 15-30 seconds after this point.
6. Repeat steps 2-5 until 5-7 coats are finished.
7. The finish on first couple of pens I got to this point was not completely smooth so I started at 4000 MM and went up. The last few I did were smoother so I started at 8000 MM.
8. The finish I got was a nice satin. I added a couple of Hut PPP and got a gloss finish.

I am carrying one of the pens that I used the PPP on to see how long it lasts.

The Bloodwood set and African Blackwood Cigar that I posted earlier was finished this way as well as these 2 Polaris pens. 1st is Spalted Oak with TN hardware. 2nd is Mesquite root from my Wichita Falls trip.

2006122045258_MesqSpaltOakPolaris.jpg

Thank you Don!

I would be interested to hear if anyone else in a high humidity area has adapted the CA finish to work for them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
By jove I think you've got it! BTW, it's not just a CA finish that needs adjusting for climatic conditions. Lacquer does as well. I believe Russ Fairfield was the first one to tell me that finishing likes the same conditions people do. 65-85 degrees and about 40-60% humidity. Outside of those estimates, it's a matter of adjusting until you get it right. Congratulations on getting it right!

BigRob777

Jason,
Wow, that's a great story and the finish you get is awesome. I'm from a pretty humid area also and have had trouble on the more humid days. I don't use enough CA. I think I'll try this out, as well as using blue gloves to keep my finger from sticking and burning. I also never used pressure before.
Thanks for posting this,
Rob

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Jason,
Thanks for the post. You just confirmed what I was suspecting that humidity was my problem the last few days here in Houston. The humidity has been very high with fog most of the mornings this past week and very light rain or mist during the day. I've been fighting with two rosewood burl pens that I can't get the edges nest to the hardware to hold the CA finish, it looks cloudy about 1/32" in toward the body of the pen. Finish looks great when I remove it from the lathe, but as soon as I assemble the pen, the cloudy edges appear, makes the pen look like crap. The problem most be the humidity because I had no problem with three other rosewood burl pens I made about 2 weeks ago.
Bad part of it is, I need these pens finished by Thursday night for delivery on Friday.

JasonF

Monty, here's an idea you might want to try. The humidity inside a house is around 60% provided the A/C or heat has been on. If at all possible finish and assemble the pen inside your house.

Kemosabe62

I also am in a humid area and have come to have developed almost the same steps as you. One thing I can suggest is those tiny zip lock bags that you throw away after you gotten the pen part out, put it under the paper towel and will less likely burn or stick to your fingers. As I only hold it there until it begins to get hot. Then remove it.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by JasonF
<br />Monty, here's an idea you might want to try. The humidity inside a house is around 60% provided the A/C or heat has been on. If at all possible finish and assemble the pen inside your house.

Jason,
This is not an option with a Jet 1632 AND LOML would not allow that.

Jason,
I've just started using the Ca finish in TN.. so don't think me to be any kind of an expert on this.. our humidity level is about mid range most of the time.. I apply the Ca with the foam wrapping you find in computers and electronics... is about 1/8 thick and fairly close cells..I have about 3 yards of the stuff from past purchases, I cut little applicators about 2 x 3 in., the CA doesn't seem to stick to it so you can use a little less per application.. 1 or 2 drops usually. I apply with the lathe off, turning by hand until I get good coating, the smooth with lathe running.. after it drys I go back with Viva and polish a little... then add the BLO for a final finish.. Generally put on 3 or 4 coats of CA before the BLO, then about 3 coats of BLO... beginning to get pretty good finish on the pens.. I'm still working on the process but so far this works for me.

BTW, thanks to everyone who has posted on this finish... I think I will like it when get it perfected.

JasonF

ozmandus: Sounds like a good idea for the applicator and a wonderful reason to add to the list to try and convince my wife we need a new computer[;)]. What type of CA are you using, thin, med or thick?

BigRob777: Hope this does help. Post pics please.

Kemosabe62: I will start using those bags, thanks for the tip!

Monty:[B)] Both good reasons!

DCBluesman: Thanks for the heads up on lacquer. I was going to try it next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom