CA glue and smartphones

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I can't seem to use CA glue without getting some on my fingers, so I have simply come to expect that if I'm going to be doing a lot of gluing, I have to wear nitrile gloves. But if I'm doing a quick glue job, I sometimes take a shortcut, and that always means that I get some on my hands. The good news is that after washing my hands a few times, the dried glue will simply peel off.

My smartphone has a 'haptic sensor' - the power button reads my fingerprint as part of log-on security. But it seems that if I have a 'close encounter with CA', the sensor is no longer able to read the fingerprint, even long after I have removed all the glue. Instead, I have to reprogram the phone to read my finger.

I'm just speculating, but it almost seems like the process of getting glue on my finger, and then removing it, makes a subtle change in the fingerprint.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

I would guess that it is the washing that is changing how your finger looks to the phone. But that would be a temporary change. Once your finger dries out it should work with the phone again. If it doesn't, then maybe you are pulling off skin when you pull off the CA.

Ed

1080Wayne

No , but I have deliberately ignored that feature on my laptop because of what I see as potential problems . What happens when you cut your finger ? - not that any of us ever would , doing the things we do . How about a nice big sliver that gets infected for a day or two ?- less likely if you only turn plastic , I guess . Does the shape of your finger change a bit , affecting the reading , when your hands are tingling with cold from working outside when it`s -30 ? Or when you have been gripping something hard with your fingers when it is 90 F?

I don`t know the answers to these , But I`m pretty sure that CA removal of the outer skin layer leaves a smoother print , and that caused your problem . Your actual fingerprint as it would be recorded by the police (using CA if I remember what I have read of the procedure correctly) won`t have changed .

Last edited:

Curly

Your phone and likely the laptop allow you to memorize multiple fingers for the same user so just use a finger or thumb that doesn't get glued. You can even have one of your wife's fingers in there so in the case of an emergency and you are down, she can grab your phone and call 911. Also lets you work the phone if you cut your finger.

StanBrown

Your phone and likely the laptop allow you to memorize multiple fingers for the same user so just use a finger or thumb that doesn't get glued. You can even have one of your wife's fingers in there so in the case of an emergency and you are down, she can grab your phone and call 911. Also lets you work the phone if you cut your finger.

Most phones now allow someone to call 911 without a fingerprint or logging on at all.

Sawdust Maker

I've had this problem for years. I've put it down to either sanding off the fingerprint or altering it with glue residue etc.
I've programmed in a couple of finger tips but the only way around it it to memorise the pin! lol

EPCTX

I've had this problem for years. I've put it down to either sanding off the fingerprint or altering it with glue residue etc.
I've programmed in a couple of finger tips but the only way around it it to memorise the pin! lol

LOL. Same here. Seems to be a sem-regular rvent with me.

Rick95602

Just happened to me the other day (but I'm a newbie at all of this). Couldn't figure out why I couldn't access my phone. Quoting a wise source "DUH". Anyway, back to normal after a day or so.

Top Bottom