CA fume extractor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

Does anyone have any recommendations for a portable fume extractor for CA fumes. SWMBO is complaining about fumes coming out of the shop. No flatulence jokes please.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
1. Oderless CA
2. Fan blowing across the turning pen blank
3. Good DC system with hose mounted close enough to turning pen to suck in the turnings; will pull in the CA fumes also
4. Respirator

I used 2, 3 & 4 before Oderless CA came out and it worked well. I had developed severe allergies to CA fumes about 2 years after I started turning pens.

ramaroodle

Does anyone have any recommendations for a portable fume extractor for CA fumes. SWMBO is complaining about fumes coming out of the shop. No flatulence jokes please.
What do you use for dust collection? If you don't use dust collection now a small Shop Vac with a bag inside will get the job done.

PS Flatulence is no joke!

jcm71

I currently use a Rigid shop vac with the intake magnetically attached to the back of the lathe. Don't think the HEPA particle filter in the Rigid is up to the job. Need an organic vapor filter.

Aces-High

I have been thinking about this too. Sometimes you just don't need or want the power\noise of a dust collector or shop vac while finishing, just a little air movement. I have thought about a HVAC hose with an inline fan to move fumes away, if I can figure out how to rig it...

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have been thinking about this too. Sometimes you just don't need or want the power\noise of a dust collector or shop vac while finishing, just a little air movement. I have thought about a HVAC hose with an inline fan to move fumes away, if I can figure out how to rig it...

It takes a little bit in individual thinking based on your set-up but noise can be abated real well. When I set mine up when I was living in Japan and my shop not 4 ft from the house behind my shop (and baby's bedroom at that) - I took a noisy Makita DC collector, incased it in a plywood housing, lined the inside and outside with stick on carpet, every square inch of it, a baffle lined with carpet and it worked well. It could not be heard any louder than a slight breeze outside of my 9 X 12 workshop. Inside, I could talk on my phone easily - only 2 ft from it.

Top Bottom