CA & Fleece don't mix

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlharding

So having rested an 'unknown to be leaking' bottle of thick CA on my fleece jacket is there a way to break down the CA? I have debonder but think that this won't do the trick.

Thanks guys and gals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I haven't done this with fleece but I have done that on a shirt and a jacket - some days AFTER I discovered it. I wadded the affected areas sort of like a loose tie-dye and let it soak in a jar of acetone for about 30 minutes. With rubber gloves (that I had to change twice) I rubbed the material against itself gently for one or two minutes, dip it back in acetone, rub again, repeat three or four times. You probably know better how to proceed in terms of gentleness versus brute force in rubbing the material/fabric against itself.

I could still see a residue on both of my experiments and gave up. However, when LOML washed them after I went through the above ritual, both looked normal. In the case of fleece, probably dry cleaning will be a good follow up.

rlharding

Thanks Marc & Lee. I will try the acetone. The patch is in two places as it went through one folded layer of my fleece jacket to the one below. The size of each is about the size of the base of a bottle of beer.

Next time I bring something home to work on I will bring it in to the house and not leave in the car till the next day!

Guess this was in the wrong section.

nava1uni

If your fleece is made of recycled soda bottles, like most, the acetone will melt it. I got some CA on a nice sweater I was wearing, cuz, I wasn't going to spill it. Well, to make a long story short, I did use debonder. I put a cloth underneath the spot on the sweater to catch the debonder and melted CA. I soaked it and left it for a few minutes then blotted it; changed the cloth each time. It took a while, but it eventually came out. Hope it works. Once it was out I washed the garment.

Top Bottom