CA finish question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

I am trying to develop a CA finish process that works for me. I have gotten lots of great info on this forum and want to ask a question of you expert CA finishers.
I assumed that a first coat of thin CA would be be as good or better as a sealer coat as opposed to using sealer. My rationale is that the CA would penetrate and soak into the wood better than it would if an actual sealer were used first. Does this make any sense or am I just splitting hairs?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
CA will make a fine sealer! Some prefer the medium CA as deep penetration is not required for a sealer coat. If, however, you want some stabilizing, the deep penetration of the thin CA is helpful. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

ilikewood

Hi Jim,

There were some great comments on page three of the discussion of "A call for CSUSA and you Finishing Experts!" in the finishing forum about using CA as a sealer prior to lacquer finish....especially from Russ. Although sanding sealers won't have as many adverse effects on CA, the discussions are relevant.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
One thing that I have found using CA as a sealer.
It is hard stuff.
If there are sanding marks that are not removed they will stick out like a sore thumb when you put a finish coat on.

GregD

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />One thing that I have found using CA as a sealer.
It is hard stuff.
If there are sanding marks that are not removed they will stick out like a sore thumb when you put a finish coat on.

Well, why in the world would a person put a finish on a piece that wasn't finished???? I know, I know, STUFF HAPPENS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom