CA Finish problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Guthriecb

I'm new to pen turning, have done a few and getting a little better with each on. I've been watching videos on CA finishes and have really been enjoying them. However I turned two Purple Heart pens today and when I finished them they had splotches that appeared to be under the glue. It's nice and smooth across the top but the places wouldn't shine up with the polish. You can see it in the pics. I sanded them to 600 grit. Rubbed them with teak oil, sanded with 2000 grit, CA coat, sanded with micro mesh pads and polished. I've had lots of luck with that so far with all my other pens. In fact, I did 2 padauk today as well the same way and didn't have a problem. Is it something with Purple Heart or is it the oil? Thanks in advance I look forward to the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hard to say. . Are the splotches a whitish color ? .. Could be the teak oil, but I wouldn't think so. . Often CA is used with BLO (boiled linseed oil).

I think you should sand with some intermediate grits between 600 and 2000. .. . try 600, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000

You mentioned "You can see it in the pics." .... Did you forget the pics ? . Pics would help, maybe.

Guthriecb

Hard to say. . Are the splotches a whitish color ? .. Could be the teak oil, but I wouldn't think so. . Often CA is used with BLO (boiled linseed oil).

I think you should sand with some intermediate grits between 600 and 2000. .. . try 600, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000

You mentioned "You can see it in the pics." .... Did you forget the pics ? . Pics would help, maybe.

Did the pics show through this time?

254484a139093e2e88c260f9d504e1f3.jpg
19076cbe9664e7d7f6b956ea4b98f022.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magpens

Good pics .... thanks ! ..... what you show is typical of CA splotches. ..... I don't think anybody really knows the cause.

It's kinda too late now, but before assembly you could have sanded right down to the wood and applied the CA over again.
Those bolt action pens are hard to disassemble. . Better luck next time.

Guthriecb

Good pics .... thanks ! ..... what you show is typical of CA splotches. ..... I don't think anybody really knows the cause.

It's kinda too late now, but before assembly you could have sanded right down to the wood and applied the CA over again.
Those bolt action pens are hard to disassemble. . Better luck next time.

Thanks for the input. I'll be doing more. Chalk it up to learning this time. Apparently I posted this twice. Lol. I'm not only new to pen making but forums as well. It seems everyone's common thought is the oil, since Purple Heart is already oily. I'll try it again in the future! Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dehn0045

Possibly sanding through the CA? When I was using flex CA I had a lot of problems sanding through the finish, would cause dull spots like that. I went back to my BSI thin CA and things improved.

Sly Dog

I'm of like mind with Sam and Duane. I just finished a blank with Purple Heart caps and sanded through the finish on one end resulting in a dull splotch. I re-applied a few coats of GluBoost and re-micromeshed - it turned out fine. Good luck!
Russ

LJay44

Looks just like some olive wood blanks I turned last weekend, I'm thinking sanded through the CA also as I didn't use any oil. Reapplyed thin CA and looks fine now...

Top Bottom