CA finish help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jeff E

IMG_1253.JPG

I'm having problems as shown in the picture. I know this is caused by the CA breaking when i separate the finished blank from the bushing but I'm not sure how to fix this. I gently cut it free with a razor blade which works most of the time. I'm just wondering how to better prevent this from happening or fix it after the fact. Any help is appreciated. A side note i have tried non stick bushings and can't stand them, so I'd rather not use them.

Thanks in advance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

That was a problem i often had...now I use a hard plastic cone bushing for adding a CA finish instead of the pen bushings. I wipe a very very light coat of Johnson's paste wax on the non-stick bushings, and they pop right off when i'm done. Then--to trim the glue residue off i go right back to the belt sander to "kiss" the ends so that when assembled we don't crack the CA. After each use, the delrin bushings go into a sealed container of acetone to clean them off. Easy on the wax as we don't want to inhibit the finish from sticking on the blank--just enough to make it slick.
earl

keithbyrd

As earl said - Use pen busings for turning - then use the delrin cones to sand and finish the CA. A light kiss on the sander will clean off ant residue!

jttheclockman

YEP put me in the delrin cone group too. Have doing that and never a problem. When done I always hit the ends on a flat piece of 220 grit paper and carefully sand ends. Then touch of thin CA to again seal the ends. These are things you need to do no matter how you apply CA and you will learn them. Just as is make sure the tubes are clean of CA before assembling. I also use a reamer on the ends to help in sliding of the parts. If they are too tight sometimes I add some vaseline to help or may have to go to extremes and file the inside of the tube some with a small round file. Again more tips.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Since you recently joined, you may not be familiar with the letters "TBC" or the term "Turn Between Centers." I had problems with CA separation on oily woods - in which Oily woods caused it to happen 2 out of 3 times. After complaining a couple of times, two fellows mentioned the idea of Turning without using a mandrel. I was intrigued. Put a blank with bushings on each end between a dead drive center and a live center in the tail stock and turn. (BTW - DON'T turn to size by the bushings, but by measuring the fittings with a set of calipers and then measuring the turned blank with the calipers.) After getting it very close to size, take the bushings off and put on between the centers and sand to size, measuring with calipers. Then finish with CA.

It is the separation from the bushings on a mandrel with CA all over it and the blank that brought about the use of TBC and its simplicity. Stopped the CA separation dead in its tracks for me.

Last edited:

Sly Dog

I also use nonstick bushings - most of the time. Occasionally I'll get impatient and go right for the CA without changing bushings. When I do I'll remove the blank with the bushings stuck on and give the bushing a gentle rap against the banjo which usually breaks the CA bond pretty cleanly. I have tried the exacto knife method but I don't like it as I have cut a deep scratch into the finish. There's a good reason why I am not a surgeon.

TonyL

I use the non-stick and many times no bushings. Even with non stick, I manage to bond the NS to the blank every so often. I to find them a better way to go given how I like to apply ca.

Top Bottom