CA /Bushing Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Russell

I like using CA as a finish and am starting to get consistent results. However something happened yesterday that maybe you can help with.

As I apply CA, usually about 4 coats, it will flow on to the bushings. Knowing that, I always apply a little paste wax to the bushing surfaces that go inside the blank to reduce the chance of the bushing gluing up on the inside. But it will of course flow on to the outside of the bushing. When I am done, I remove the bushing by gingerly "snapping" it off the blank. Most of the time I get a clean break. But occasionaly, it breaks with a chip out on the blank.

So the question is, do you do anything special to separate the blank from the bushing after a CA finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

You can try first scoring between the bushing and the blank with a sharp chisel. Place the flat side of the chisel facing the blank and the angle ground part facing the bushing. Then snap as usual.

Dan

I love the CA finish. It's quick and gives great results. I use the point of a sharp parting tool to score a very light line at the transition between the bushing and the material. A very light touch is all it takes to get a clean <snap> break.

Dan

Paul Russell

---------- UPDATE -----------

I'm beginning to think my problem occurs in assembly not in taking it off the bushings.

I did a pen over the weekend and paid close attention to each of the final stages. When I snapped it off the bushings, the break was clean, no problems. I then lightly sanded the ends on a peice of 400 grit sandpaper held down on my table saw bed. At this point still no problems.

Next I assembled the pen using a pen press with plastic on the pen press pads. Now I have some chipping. I think the solution is to pay more attention to the process of sanding the ends. Rather than just lightly sand the ends, I have to take care that the ends are flat sanded all the way accross the end surface so there is no CA ridge that the pressure of the press can break.

JimGo

Paul,
I also think that if the wood is proud of the tube even a hair's breadth, you'd be putting pressure on the wood instead of the tube, and the wood is more likely to crack. So, as you sand then ends, make sure you're sanding them all the way to the tube.

fuzzydog

Paul,
I use a piece of paraffin (the type used in canning food) just rub it on, than using a finger rub the mandrel and bushings. That will create enough heat to give a very light coat and things won't stick together. Hint: don't try heating it first, you get way to much on and have a mess cleaning it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom