CA & BLO on African Blackwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mdwilliams999

I have had good success on various woods using BLO and CA, but on African Blackwood, Ebony, and Wenge, I tend to get either (or both) a dull and cloudy finish. In my opinion the results are bad enough that I would not sell them. I went back to look at other pens that had a very good finish to make sure I had similar issues but just didn't notice due to being a lighter color wood. That doesn't seem to be the case.

I had a fellow woodturner mention that BLO does not interact well with some very oily woods such as African Balckwood etc. and will cause the problems I have described. He suggested not using the BLO at all and only applying CA with accelerator. I tried that tonight and the second I applied the CA directly to the pen (w/o any BLO) it got all sticky any the paper towel stuck to the pen. I sanded it all back down and not sure what to do.

I have thought about going back to my 3 step friction lacquer with the sander sealer and lacquer and then possibly try BLO and CA as a last layer. At least this way the BLO is not in direct contact with the wood.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Clean the blank with accelerator(not alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner) prior to applying the finish with CA and boiled linseed oil. I use bulk accelerator on a cloth..not the pump or aerosol. Ca and boiled linseed oil is the only finish I do and have no problems with the woods you mentioned. But, I did prior to using accelerator to clean the blank prior to applying the finish.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

rizaydog

Just use your CA without BLO. Put some on a paper towel, turn lathe on slow, and wipe it across the bottom of the barrel. Do it quickly and try to keep the CA smooth. Hit it with some accelerator and repeat.

Chasper

Start by giving it a good spritz of accelerator.

Use thick CA for the first coat, lathe at high speed, put it on the blank, not the towel, give it a quick rub with towel as you are drizzleing it on the blank. Spray with accelerator. Sand with 400 grit and repeat if necessary. Once you have the oily wood sealed with plain CA, no BLO, then finish normally with combination CA/BLO. The last several layers aren't touching the wood, they are in contact with previous layers.

Top Bottom