CA and Humidity

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
my garage has zero climate control- so I guess you could say I'm a "fair weather" Penturner. I seem to have had better luck recently finishing my CA pens more humid days. When I finish on 60% or less days I am winding up with a little bit of a "foggy" finish. not sure if the CA is curing too fast or if it's reacting with the activator weird. On humid days (I got one of my best insides yet while it was raining outside) it takes longer for the CA to cure (medium CA with a spritz of activator= 6-7 minutes) but it seems to cure smoother.

any thoughts as to why ? obviously less humid days are more enjoyable for turning! but I can't get the finish I want on those days.

thanks
Cale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Humidity changes the reaction. There are different formulas for different brands of CA and some or most react to moisture, usually being a tad slower to cure in than with hot & arid conditions. Fogging in general with me occurred with higher humidity levels and lower ambient temps - below somewhere around 75°.

Fogging does seem to take place more with activator than without it - if you read previous threads over the years. Also, the activators cause a quick increase in temps on the blank and will draw moisture to it, and if the heat draws moisture out of the blank (slightly green blank), it will cause cloudiness too. Cloudiness or fogginess is a result of moisture. Most of the time it will go away after a few days in a dry environment, but do not put it in the sunlight to sit for hours on end, even if the sunlight is coming through a window.

Location and environment make a difference with finishes. Phoenix presents a different environment for finishing than Portland OR, or Dayton, Ohio, etc. Plus personal experience and working traits/techniques change the specific method that needs to be used (everyone is different and there is no one way that works best for everyone. I personally ran into this needing to change techniques in NW MS and overseas in a coastal city. Conquering this CA mess came (for me) with just spending a day with a bunch of blanks made out of a pieces of pine 2x4 about foot long and cut into blank size pieces. After making about 15 or so blanks, I spent the morning trying to get a good finish. The experience was excellent. My technique improved with each one; learning the reaction of the CA along with ambient moisture (humidity) and temp was a great experience. That was in NW Mississippi near Memphis. I was home for a few months. Then back to living overseas in a coastal city (Nagoya-Toyota City) and the environment changed somewhat (higher humidity year round) although the temps were almost identical to NW MS. Experience and technique help overcome the cloudiness/fogginess as conditions change.

Last edited:

penicillin

I agree with Todd. Try GluBoost and use the GluBoost accelerator for finishing pens.

When I first switched to GluBoost, I ran tests by overloading with too much accelerator. I could not get the GluBoost to "fog". It was easy with the StickFast brand that I had been using.

mmayo

It rained today and I guarantee it was humid with puddles feet from my finishing lathe. To enjoy the rain I opened both of my shop doors. I applied CA finish just like normal and got normal results. I use ONLY EZ Bond CA and Stickfast accelerator.

Your mileage may vary…

Attachments

• B23901EF-A297-44FE-B752-D1C4E0D1E4B7.jpeg
    B23901EF-A297-44FE-B752-D1C4E0D1E4B7.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 68
  • F75BF8FA-E573-4714-863B-236E011FC95F.jpeg
    F75BF8FA-E573-4714-863B-236E011FC95F.jpeg
    381.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 1BC1BEE0-4032-49C4-9FA2-636F5331C8D8.jpeg
    1BC1BEE0-4032-49C4-9FA2-636F5331C8D8.jpeg
    372.3 KB · Views: 63
I have to say, you guys who recommended gluboost (particularly the accelorator with my mercury CA)…I am a convert! used it to finish two pens- no fogging, faster coats, fewer coats, and a whole lot less time.
Here's the Thuya Burl Virage I turned last night:
FAB4F15C-59A0-4D08-A310-202B5555837D.jpeg

Doughboy

Here is an email I received from GluBoost about room temp and humidity...

Room temperature 65-75. Humidity max 45-50%

Thank you!

Regards,

Rick

Rick Rosenberg

President

Gear Up Products, LLC

Mfg. of the GluBoost Family of Products

652 Primrose Lane

River Vale, NJ 07675

Top Bottom