CA Accelerator boiling my CA ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul-H

Hi all

I need some help

I am getting some very odd results applying CA as a pen finish.

When I first started practicing with a CA finish I used a no name brand of CA and a can of no name brand Accelerator and in the end I was getting some excellent results. But I eventually ran out of both, when I went to buy some more I found the shop had shut down, so I had to try a different supplier and they only stocked branded CA, so I bought ZAP products both CA and Accelerator but found in use as soon as the Accelerator was applied the CA fizzed up and went all white and lumpy. So thinking I need something else I went to a different supplier and came away with a set from O3a, I am in the UK, don't know if either of these brands are available in the USA. But when I tried the one I got the same fizzing and turning white, I then in desperation picked up another bottle of CA from a local builders merchant, this time a brand I had not heard of before but again using it with either of the Accelerators I again got the same results.

Anyone got any ideas as to why it is happening.

As a stop gap until I figure this out I am using the old BLO method to set the CA but at the moment I am not getting as good a result as got with the first bottle CA and Accelerator.

Help

Thanks

Paul

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Try spraying from further away, using less. With BSI here in the states you can spritz a bit on a lint free shop towel and gently swipe your ca finish in between coats.

egnald

I can only speak from my own experience, but I have found:

- Aerosol Accelerator works best for me vs the pump spray kind.
- As Michele (Hippie3180) stated, try spraying from a foot to a foot and a half away.
- I never use accelerator on Thin CA, only on Medium thickness.
- A single short burst of accelerator is all I ever use, I've found that anything more simply wastes expensive accelerator.

I'm sure you will find something that works well for you. - Dave

jttheclockman

Not all accelerator and CA work well together. Best to get what is recommended for the CA you are using. In this hobby you quickly learn when you go cheap you go home. It is not worth it. You spend all that time making a product that you want people to notice and then cheap out on the finish. Not cool. This pen making is not a cheap hobby in more ways than one. Get it in your head before you continue on. This goes for blanks, kits, tools and finishing. Good luck though.😁😁😁

Paul-H

Not all accelerator and CA work well together. Best to get what is recommended for the CA you are using. In this hobby you quickly learn when you go cheap you go home. It is not worth it. You spend all that time making a product that you want people to notice and then cheap out on the finish. Not cool. This pen making is not a cheap hobby in more ways than one. Get it in your head before you continue on. This goes for blanks, kits, tools and finishing. Good luck though.😁😁😁
As I said the CA and Accelerator used are from the same maker (ZAP and O3a) and in the UK these are both expensive premium makes so not sure why you commented the way you did.

Although actually the first ones I used which did work fine were no name cheap products, I only stated having issues when I was forced to buy premium when the original supplier closed down.

Woodchipper

I tried one brand of CA glue with another brand of accelerator. Made a gummy mess. Went back to the same brand for both.

KenB259

Don't use accelerator as soon as you apply the CA, let it turn 15 - 20 seconds and then use the accelerator no closer than twelve inches. Also you only need a very short burst.

jttheclockman

As I said the CA and Accelerator used are from the same maker (ZAP and O3a) and in the UK these are both expensive premium makes so not sure why you commented the way you did.

Although actually the first ones I used which did work fine were no name cheap products, I only stated having issues when I was forced to buy premium when the original supplier closed down.
Again I have to explain myself so here it is. What I read is you mixed CA and accelerator. One being of a lesser brand. The written word is sometimes misconstrued. I do not use accelerator but if in a true hurry then I use a spray and just a light spritz is all that is needed. I have been here for a very long time and have seen many of complaints of various things and more times than not the reasons are inferrior products weather it be tools, blanks, finishes that become the source of the problem so that is the reason for my reply. To yours as you mention let me add to the list you have now, maybe the product had a bad run and you got a bad bottle. If it continues and the methods people are telling you do not correct it then may have to repurchase or contact vendor. Seen this as well. Have a good day.

Paul-H

Sorry, I thought I was clear in what I tried, so here I try again

I first used a no name CA with a different make no name accelerator and that worked fine, until both ran out.

I then tried ZAP CA and ZAP accelerator and had the issues mentioned

I then tried O3a CA and O3a accelerator and had the same results

I then tried ZAP CA with O3a accelerator and had the same result

I then tried O3a CA with ZAP accelerator and had the same result

Lastly I tried a different no name CA with ZAP and the O3a accelerator and again had the same results.

The only time I had no problems was when I was using the original can of accelerator and that also worked with a few other makes of CA I had at the time.

Unfortunate I didn't keep the empty can and cannot remember what name it was sold under, I have searched but cannot find anything that looks like it might be the same product.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

jttheclockman

Well Not sure if anyone has heard of these products or if you can even get them here in the USA. If you are using CA that is matched with an accelerator than it should work. The blooming effect which you describe is a water or too much accelerator being used. This turns CA white and clumpy. If it a aerosol type the mist is very fine and you should use a little with quick sprays as the blank spins from at least 12" away. If bottle formula then same should apply but be careful because droplets can be larger.

If you care to give a look, here is some homework for you. There was a member here that did an extensive study on both CA glues as well as accelerators. If you can find his threads there is some interesting readings.

https://www.penturners.org/members/edstreet.4151/

Here is one of his articles he includes on his web site along with his wife's clay pens (Toni)

https://www.claypenblanks.com/what-is-polymer-clay/ca-finishing-101.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom