C.A. Glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I haven't decided on what brand I like over another. My main question is where do you get it so that you feel confident that it's fresh? There's 2 wood stores close to me but I'm not sure of how long it's been on the shelf. It seems each time I buy a new bottle I have issues just a few months down the road. I keep it in the house so it's always at "Room Temperature". Thanks for your input.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

I am still using stuff thats 3 or more years old 2 different brands 2P-10 and EZ Bond and have never had a problem.
Lin

Last edited:

Kenny Durrant

Thanks for the info. I'm using it to seal snakeskins and it seems to take several hours if not all day to harden. Once it's cured it's ok but it takes forever to cure. That is unless I get it somewhere where it's not supposed to be then it's the fastest glue ever.

jttheclockman

Satelite City. Always fresh. Love the Hotstuff. Been using for 15 years plus that I have been turning pens and never a failure. As far as drying fast again this is a marathon and not a sprint. Speed should never ever ever come into the equation of pen making or any woodworking. Mistakes happen with speed. Also injuries. Just look on the highways. :)

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Thanks for the info. I'm using it to seal snakeskins and it seems to take several hours if not all day to harden. Once it's cured it's ok but it takes forever to cure. That is unless I get it somewhere where it's not supposed to be then it's the fastest glue ever.
I use EZ Bond thick my snake skins. Takes less than 1-2 minutes to dry to the touch. I let them cure overnight before casting.

Mikeyt

This is just me but when I buy glue I look at the bottom of the bottle hoping to get the soonest date if the date is on the bottle that way I know it is fresher this is usually titebond glue and I get the furthest on in the back of the shelf. I have had good luck for the most part.

Kenny Durrant

John your correct it's not about speed. I would like it to set before it all runs down to the bottom end. When painting or coating tubes I have a vertical rack I put them on while they dry. It all runs the the bottom side then takes most of the day to dry to the touch. This is CA Glue that's supposed to dry in seconds.

jttheclockman

John your correct it's not about speed. I would like it to set before it all runs down to the bottom end. When painting or coating tubes I have a vertical rack I put them on while they dry. It all runs the the bottom side then takes most of the day to dry to the touch. This is CA Glue that's supposed to dry in seconds.
May just have to rework your method or try different viscosity of CA. Thick does not run with my CA. In fact neither does med.

Being of the cheap nature, I pay more attention to pricing than to brand names... since Manny stopped selling glue, the best price I've found has been from Vince's Wood n Wonders. My glues sit in the shop, a stand alone metal building, unless there is a freeze predicted, then I bring my wood glues into the house... CA I just leave in the shop and have had bottles sit out there for up to a year or more with no issues.

penicillin

I haven't decided on what brand I like over another. My main question is where do you get it so that you feel confident that it's fresh? There's 2 wood stores close to me but I'm not sure of how long it's been on the shelf. It seems each time I buy a new bottle I have issues just a few months down the road. I keep it in the house so it's always at "Room Temperature". Thanks for your input.
You didn't say whether you are using it as an adhesive, or for finishing pens, or both.

I like GluBoost for finishing pens, but have never tried it as an adhesive. I do not use CA for gluing pen tubes. I use it as an adhesive for other woodworking projects, but more for "tacking" things, not as a permanent adhesive.

I take a pragmatic view about buying CA glue. I buy glue off the shelf at my local stores. I mark the date of purchase and the date of opening on the bottles with a Sharpie marker. Even if the glue may have been on the shelf before purchase, I figure that the "loss" of shelf lifetime is less than the cost of shipping. GluBoost is sold my local Rockler woodworking store, but I buy other glues at the local Home Depot or Walmart. Product turnover at those large box stores is pretty high.

One "rule of thumb" that I go by is that most glues begin to age after you open the bottle. CA glues age from the time of manufacture. Repeating: A guideline, not an absolute. Of course unopened glues age a little in the bottle, but CAs much more than others.

FastCap has a two year shelf life and their customer service cannot be beat! They will replace it whenever you give them a call, They sell direct, so you know you are getting fresh CA Glue. They also offer 10% off if you sign up for their emails!

KenB259

FastCap has a two year shelf life and their customer service cannot be beat! They will replace it whenever you give them a call, They sell direct, so you know you are getting fresh CA Glue. They also offer 10% off if you sign up for their emails!
And they sell empty bottles and tips :)

Kenny Durrant

Thanks Again for the help. I also use Glue Boost for a finish. I'm sealing snakeskins and I've tried Glue Boost and didn't care for it as a sealer. I think it's flexibility gave me some unexpected issues so I stopped experimenting with it for skins. I looked up the fast cap glue and saw it came with an excelerator. I'd rather not use it for fear of the glue foaming and causing issues with the cast. I did use Glue Boost excelerator with the glue I'm having problems with and it did what it's supposed to do. I just hate using it because it's pricy.

penicillin

I keep my CA glue boggles in the freezer and have no failures. Some of the bottles are quite old -- 4-5 years, but they still work fine. P
Are you saying that you keep using them over and over and storing them in the freezer?

How long do you leave the CA bottle out of the freezer while you are using it? Have you ever had a problem with condensation while you are using CA glue and the bottle is out of the freezer? What keeps water from condensing inside the bottle and hardening your CA glue?

philipff

Yep, keep in the freezer whic is in my garage/workshop. Leave the one I am using only as long as it is being used. Never had a condensation problem. P.

Kenny;
FastCap does reccomend using their activator, but it is not required. It just sets up the CA Glue much faster than without it. Also, as with ANY activator, use it sparingly and spray lightly! This will help avoid foaming and most any other problems.

Top Bottom