By a friend of Bill for a friend of Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jjartwood

Jjartwood

I was approached by a very good friend ( yes I have friends,as long as I keep making the payments ). He asked if I thought that this medallion would fit on a pen,I was pretty confident that it would fit on the cambridge 31/64 tube so I told him that I thought it would,he said "good, let me know when your done with it" and he walked away.
Without a clue as to what he expects to get back,I decided to keep it simple,
the tubes were gold leafed The medallion was bent and the works were cast in PR. Once cured they were finished in the typical manner.
I kind of like the pen, I wonder if he'd believe that I lost his coin, never mind I hope he likes it.
Mark
C&C welcome
Thanks for looking

Attachments

• IMG_1963.jpg
    IMG_1963.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_1964.jpg
    IMG_1964.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1965.jpg
    IMG_1965.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1966.jpg
    IMG_1966.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 181
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Nice job Mark. It is easier to make something that is yours but when you have to bend and make what is not yours it makes things more difficult. Not like you have lots of chances to get it right. You got it right that is for sure.

Jjartwood

That's really cool, but I would have preferred to have the medallion on the cap.
I gave that some real thought but because of the coin size I thought it would work better with the extra real estate on the longer tube, even though the medallion was thinned it still maintained a front raised portion around the outside so I needed to cut a possum belly profile and the extra length in the lower tube helped "loose" the cut. In my mind that was a no win so I played it safe.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That's really cool, but I would have preferred to have the medallion on the cap.
I gave that some real thought but because of the coin size I thought it would work better with the extra real estate on the longer tube, even though the medallion was thinned it still maintained a front raised portion around the outside so I needed to cut a possum belly profile and the extra length in the lower tube helped "loose" the cut. In my mind that was a no win so I played it safe.

It is "conventional" to use the cap, but WHY??

Mark's point about the size of the body is valid. Also the churchill cap is thinner and could pose problems.

Beyond that, when the art is on the body, it can "look forward" when the pen is removed from your pocket, regardless of the orientation of the clip. With the coin in the cap, you wouldn't want to put the clip across the coin, obliterating some of the design, so the coin would never be "front and center".

Seems pretty good logic to use the body---unconventional, but well considered.

Nice work, Mark!
(from another friend of Bill)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That is very nice!!!

I like the gold leaf paint under on the tube and the medallion/casting looks like it went fine.

Having the medallion on the bottom looks fine to me!

Great project.

OZturner

Glorious Pen, Mark.
Beautiful Gold leaf Blank.
Superb Fit and Finish.
What thickness did you thin down the Medallion too?
Please make allowances for me as being from Down Under, I am a little confused by your "I needed to cut a possum belly profile".
What is "cut a possum belly profile".
Fantastic Craftsmanship, Mark.
Brian.

Top Bottom