BWI Pen Shos

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sdindc

I went to check out the vendors at the Baltimore Washington Internationl Pen Show this afternoon and got to talk to some experinced turners with some very nice pens and cool techniques. Being fairly new to the game it was great to see and talk to experenced turned and see what time, effort and skill can create in person. I don't know if these guys are on the site or not nut they were all happy to talk shop and very encouraging.

Sharing in case others are interested:

https://www.ironfeathercreative.com/
Brian's carvings are amayzing.

Greg has a number of well creafter and colorful kitless pens. Great collections on his website.

Jason has some cool pens made with uniqe materials. The mammoth tooth was cool and I like the idea of the compresse hemp fabric.

Alan had really classy and nicely made pens.

Adolphus was a cool dude with some lovely kitless pens.

jttheclockman

Always good to see what others are doing and that is why this forum is fun. We get that quick look what people are working on. Just a note though for all pen makers and those who want to sell their pens. These links to web sites and I am sure each and every pen vendor there were big time players. I say this because take a look at asking prices on some of their pens. So when you all take those formulas and do all that calculating and carrying of numbers and subtracting and multiplying to try to figure out a price to charge, you are not even in the same ball park. Not even in the parking lot across the street. ;););) As I said then and will again here location location location is what will determine pen pricing. If you can figure it out you are a better person than I and I am sure others here as well. Good luck and glad the OP had a good time checking out the world of pen making. Wish we had a show come through our area.

sdindc

Always good to see what others are doing and that is why this forum is fun. We get that quick look what people are working on. Just a note though for all pen makers and those who want to sell their pens. These links to web sites and I am sure each and every pen vendor there were big time players. I say this because take a look at asking prices on some of their pens. So when you all take those formulas and do all that calculating and carrying of numbers and subtracting and multiplying to try to figure out a price to charge, you are not even in the same ball park. Not even in the parking lot across the street. ;););) As I said then and will again here location location location is what will determine pen pricing. If you can figure it out you are a better person than I and I am sure others here as well. Good luck and glad the OP had a good time checking out the world of pen making. Wish we had a show come through our area.

Almost all were using premium materials and making kitless pens. More ebonite, resins and such than wood. Good to look at and see though!

jttheclockman

Almost all were using premium materials and making kitless pens. More ebonite, resins and such than wood. Good to look at and see though!
Yes kitless is in these days but I often said that with some kits that are on the market they can rival any kitless pen when matched with a nice blank. I love working with some of the older Italian materials because they just do not make them like that any more and the intense colors is outstanding. When you play in the big boy arena you need to be at top level of your game to draw some attention. Make something unique helps. There are always so many materials to be used that many do not even attempt. Show like that get the juices flowing and hopefully you get ideas that can be tried. Many times those people do not share much info. It has been proven over and over buyers like colors. I see it it with my scrollsaw work as well. Mix in nice woods and it helps sales.

Top Bottom