But why???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

If you successfully drill blanks oversize in length and like that method, please scroll to the next post. Bravo and peace.

If you ever wondered why so many do this, join my club. Below are photos of six Diamond Knurl/Sierra acrylic blanks. The two pink ones are Inlace acrylester. You can see the six entrance holes and the matching exit holes. The were drilled in the lathe with quality, sharp 27/64 Norseman drill bits. I have six drill bits so each was drilled by a cold bit. The speed was 915 rpm and I cleared chips every 1/2-3/4". My quill rotation (forward motion) was moderate and even through all but the last 1/8" where I slowed down for the exit. I slowed at entrance too.

Why would I want to add an extra step of cutting the oversize blank? They look perfect. I use this method with all pens sizes and all blanks. I cut to barely longer than the brass, BARELY.

Again if you are happy, please continue what method you use.

Attachments

• 8FFD1A43-74A8-48BB-979F-CE34291C7757.jpeg
    8FFD1A43-74A8-48BB-979F-CE34291C7757.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 9E802502-5399-408A-8A08-4F158B357CBA.jpeg
    9E802502-5399-408A-8A08-4F158B357CBA.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 86CC043E-D072-4F41-8714-7268A033A6E8.jpeg
    86CC043E-D072-4F41-8714-7268A033A6E8.jpeg
    396.2 KB · Views: 124
  • E3FA8BC3-572E-445B-A52D-11E00B957A8C.jpeg
    E3FA8BC3-572E-445B-A52D-11E00B957A8C.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 132
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

Mark, I have also wondered about this. I have never had a blank blow out, but it must happen or there would not be a whole contingent of folks who start their blanks longer. I know most of the kit instructions I get from Exotic Blanks caution you to never drill completely through the blank... But I do anyway, and have not yet had a problem.

The only blanks I did actually drill partially, and then cut off the excess length was a couple Black & Gold Matrix Tru-Stone blanks, but only because EVERYBODY commented on how difficult those blanks were to work with, and they were the most expensive blanks I had ever worked with, so I wasn't taking ANY chances....

mmayo

Mark, I have also wondered about this. I have never had a blank blow out, but it must happen or there would not be a whole contingent of folks who start their blanks longer. I know most of the kit instructions I get from Exotic Blanks caution you to never drill completely through the blank... But I do anyway, and have not yet had a problem.

The only blanks I did actually drill partially, and then cut off the excess length was a couple Black & Gold Matrix Tru-Stone blanks, but only because EVERYBODY commented on how difficult those blanks were to work with, and they were the most expensive blanks I had ever worked with, so I wasn't taking ANY chances....
Good call on tru-stone. I don't do many of those but I did use the extra length method in them. Thanks

Dehn0045

Bravo and peace, guess I'll just scroll to the next post. Hope you gets lots of pats on the back that you were looking for.

Mike P

I do it for just that little bit of insurance. And like any insurance if you don't need it, it seems like a waste. But you never know when you're gonna need it. šŸ˜‰ I don't get a ton of shop time, and the thought of having to go back and redo a step because of a blow out or anything else kills me. I just wanna get that baby on the lathe!

Kenny Durrant

I get your point Mark. Although I usually do things the more difficult or time consuming way it's because it's what works for me. I was curious about the last few texts as well. I don't think you you questioning others ways of doing things just why you should do it the same as everyone else. I know my limits so I have to adjust things to compensate for those. Thanks

leehljp

Member Liaison
I personally do not have problems drilling all the way though either, nor do I make long blanks for the purpose of insurance either. I have had blowouts - early on, but it was the lack of experience for me and a matter of a different technique. I do all of my drilling on the lathe and have for about 12 - 13 years. For delicate blanks, I do wrap in thread/string and CA IF I feel extra caution is needed on specialty blanks.

jrista

It depends on the material for me. For wood I don't bother with much more than at most 1/8" extra length (although usually less than that), for resins I usually have 1/8", but there are some more brittle resins out there (Inlace Acrylester for example) that I may leave extra length on and trim. For trustone/fauxstone/simstone, I have less experience with those. It is usually ok, but I notice that they do tend to chip out a little bit...thin chips, so not deep, but broad around the bottom of the hole. If I feel a particular stone-type blank is too brittle, I'll cut it longer, drill the proper depth, then cut off the extra, just to make sure I don't lose the blank, as those tend to be very expensive.

I also picked up my first Fordite blank, which at $60 is by far the most expensive blank I've ever purchased (and, I'm honestly not sure it was worth it...there are some nice pieces at the edge but I really don't know how it will look once turned down...) Anyway, I intend to take every precaution with the Fordite, I really don't want to lose such an expensive blank.

Dehn0045

Bravo and peace, guess I'll just scroll to the next post. Hope you gets lots of pats on the back that you were looking for.
I understand that it has been determined via private message that my comment was out of line. I apologize for my curt reply.

Top Bottom