Business Licenses

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

Ok a dumb question if I may. What kind of license do I need to operate an online website business? I will be selling my pens, carved wood spoons etc and other crafts. Any ideas thank you in advance.
Jerry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
You may want to check your local regulations with the town clerk or someone like that, but around here, you don't need anything.

igran7

I have a business license, but didn't need one for my website. the website has been up and running for over a year now with no problems with the state or any other agency.

aggromere

go to the arizona attorney general's web site, you can download a form for a business license. It costs $10.

beck3906

Most states require you to collect sales tax on residents of that state even if you're performing the sale on a web site. If you're not collecting sales tax this way, you may want to verify with your state office to determine the legal requirements.

The thing you don't want to do is cause yourself to endure a sales tax audit.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
The thing you don't want to do is cause yourself to endure a sales tax audit.

This is for damn sure. I had to go through one with my construction business and residential builders here in Texas pay tax on their purchases and do not charge tax on the total. I got audited because I did a little commercial remodel and did not know that I was required to charge sales tax. The company I did the work for got audited and then they came after me. That little bit of sales tax due was not a big deal. The problem was, they found that a number of my subcontractors did not charge me the proper sales tax. They made ME pay it with penalty and interest, even though it was not my mistake! Cost me $6,000. They told me to bill the folks I had built homes for over the last 4 years! Yeah, right.

At first, they had me owing $56k until I did my homework and fought like a wet cat in a paper bag! I got it down to $6k but that was still more than I should have paid for something I did not do wrong.

Bottom line...don't mess around with the sales tax folks. They are ruthless.

Top Bottom